Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question about "Driving All Night" lyrics  (Read 6242 times)
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »

Hi,

Probably a question for Rob.

I've been listening to this track a lot recently (I think it's my favourite track from Curious Things) and I'd really like to know what the lyrics towards the end are getting at?

I have no trouble visualising the journey through the night via the metaphors in the lyrics until we get to :-
#...as the storm flies up the...followed by the thunder...carves its way across my sky.

Can you say what this represents? (flies up the what?, what is doing the carving?)

The music reaches a kind of calm resolution on the word sky, but the lyrics hint at a massive disruption.
I wouldn't ask if I didn't like it so much.

Thanks.

hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »

Can you say what this represents? (flies up the what?, what is doing the carving?)

I have always interpreted the carving as the lightning carving through the sky. Yay Thor.

The emotions built up during the the night are suddenly released.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:18:49 PM by hoboslobo » Logged

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »

That's how I thought of it. Maybe the unfinished parts ("storm flies up the...") represent the building anger (emotions rising too quickly for single thoughts to finish before becoming another), but maybe it's all dispersed quietly/internally with the quiet finish on the word "sky".

That's how I see it, anyhoo. Rob, is that a load of bullsh*t?  Cheesy

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »

I always took at as indicating there was a stark realisation they needed a toilet break.

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:18:03 AM »

it's actually "fires up the..." and the missing word is "lightning". The resolution is the "grounding" of the lightning bringing both the storm and the emotional tension in the car to a head.

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:32:24 AM »

it's actually "fires up the..." and the missing word is "lightning". The resolution is the "grounding" of the lightning bringing both the storm and the emotional tension in the car to a head.
Ah, thanks Rob. Apologies for the lazy typing, I didn't check the lyric and I let the "upward" direction towards the sky take over.  Roll Eyes
Also, I hope you don't mind a little over-thinking from time to time - I don't often try to get inside the lyrics to a song.
I "get" the storm firing-up the lightning and I see/feel the physical culmination of tension.
So is it safe to say the carving across the sky is the damage done by the row in the one person's peaceful view of the world?

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:11 PM »

not really, it's just the release of the tension that's built up in the car whilst neither has said anything the whole way.

Incidentally, I only realised this when you asked :-)

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: