Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: HOUSE OF PROGRESSION SHOWS.  (Read 255619 times)
Twang
Shark

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: May 21, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

That's certainly the first thing you notice. It looks revolting. They probably saw an old video of "The White Room" and thought "that's a good idea".

I put up a scene from THX 1138 on the Peel wall when everyone was discussing it. My comment was promptly removed & I was deleted drom the group...............Truth Hurts..............Obviously.
hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1276 on: May 21, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »

I agree with other comments after it not feeling the same since the paint job.

From my view as a photographer the lighting at the Peel was always a challenge, now it is awful. On Saturday I saw several people using flash, something I would never do as the bands must find it distracting.

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1277 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »

I agree with comments about the decor and ticket purchasing.  Ticket purchasing is the worst - from being difficult, it's got down to impossible at times.  I can't understand this - surely the best time to sell tickets is when people are there.

Of course, to buy tickets, you have to know what shows are on.  The last time I was at the Peel, I saw no posters.  There is no one who works as hard as Twang, but the venue seems to be doing everything to make his job as difficult as possible.

I heard bad things about the changing rooms.  This could be a one-off.

Then there is the sound.  Remember when David Cross band nearly didn't play because the speakers didn't work.

Finally, there does seem to be a big step down in the number of bands playing there.  I have missed a few this year, but not that many.  I have to say for those events that do happen, the crowd is much bigger.

I was thinking about the number of shows that the CRS are putting on in Rotherham.  Surely London can support the same sort of number of gigs.  I think that the CRS failed because they put on the wrong bands and on the wrong nights.

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1278 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

I went to some of the CRS London gigs and they seemed to be fairly well attended. Main problem was the venue closed down :-(

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
The Naughty Sorceress
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1279 on: May 21, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »

I don't really mind about the way the venue looks - it's not what I'd choose, but it's not unbearable. A bit more light on stage might be nice.

Totally agree about tickets though - I'd love to be able to buy tickets online, would make life a LOT easier!

It is the business of the panda to be dangerous: http://theasigma.wordpress.com/
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: May 21, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »

I went to some of the CRS London gigs and they seemed to be fairly well attended. Main problem was the venue closed down :-(
Yes - I was thinking about the Lexington rather than the Luminaire.  The Luminaire got about the same number of people but, because it was much smaller, it seemed to be full. 

Although I completely understand it, it does seem that a band needs to be able to get a much bigger crowd to be invited to play the Peel.  Time was when a crowd of 30 would be enough; now it's closer to 100.  The reasons are obvious.  But, the number of gigs has gone down.

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »

I agree about the decor, but am more concerned about the lack of a light show on stage.

I don't even bother trying to buy tickets in advance any more - most times the bar staff just look blank.  And if I don't have a ticket it is much easier for something else to come along which gets in the way...

James_H
Siamese Fighting Fish

James H - The mini-spambot.

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »

I believe I suggested some months ago that Nellie should be the online ticket sales for the Peel.

How hard can it be?

be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk/
http://flyingallnight.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/giggingforever
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: May 21, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »

Online tickets are fine, but I want to be able to buy tickets in advance at the venue without it becoming part of the Krypton Factor...

The Naughty Sorceress
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: May 22, 2012, 06:05:41 AM »

I believe I suggested some months ago that Nellie should be the online ticket sales for the Peel.

How hard can it be?
Excellent idea!  Grin

It is the business of the panda to be dangerous: http://theasigma.wordpress.com/
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:37 AM »

The thing is with selling tickets at the venue is that you are selling to people who are likely to want to come.  They will make a commitment at that moment.  Once you let them walk out of the door, there is a good chance that they won't be bothered enough to book the tickets online, even if they know where to book the tickets. 

Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »

How hard can it be?
Twang and I have been talking about this for some time.

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1287 on: May 22, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »

If I may step up and stand beside Twang for a moment. I think the poor bugger is fighting a police action on two fronts at the moment. Twang doesn't own the venue and has little say in what they do with the place and the feeling I get is that the rug has more or less been pulled out from under him as they try to cater for a younger audience. In addition, he's working all the hours that creation has sent him on promoting Celebr8. As most promoters will tell you, mounting something new like this can be a real challenge but both Twang and Geoff Banks (the festival's co-promoter) have lent their full weight to the endevour in the hope of both moving the House Of Progression to the next level and hey, allowing people to spend an enjoyable evening/day/weekend in the company of like minded individuals, with a glass of something cold in their hands whilst listeing to some briliant bands.

I think everyone here recognises that Twang, the CRS and the Summers End organisation are the big players in the UK prog world and without them, we wouldn't have seen half the acts that are around today with anywhere near the ease and frequency that we have. I cetainly admit that the Peel doesn't have the same atmosphere since the changes but it's still a regular London prog venue and those are few and far between these days.

More power to you Twang.  Smiley

We're not dead yet!
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1288 on: May 22, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »

Absolutely Simon.  It is not a coincidence that these issues have arisen after Twang and the Peel went their own ways.  It is the Peel that has problems.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »

I feel as if I should make a special trip to the Peel just to experience the new decor (taking sunglasses of course).
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 115
Print
Jump to: