Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of A Pagan Place?
I already knew it and love it - 2 (40%)
I already knew it but didn't enjoy it so much this time - 0 (0%)
I've never heard this before and love it - 1 (20%)
I've never heard this before and it was ok - 1 (20%)
I've never heard this before and didn't enjoy it so much - 1 (20%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: W/C 6th June - The Waterboys - A Pagan Place  (Read 7754 times)
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »

This week's album is the choice of a Mr. S. Bot of thie very parish, and is:

The Waterboys - A Pagan Place (1984)

A Pagan Place was an album released in June 1984 by The Waterboys. It was the first Waterboys record with Karl Wallinger as part of the band and also includes Roddy Lorimer's first trumpet solo for the band on the track A Pagan Place.

The album shares a title with the book A Pagan Place, written by Irish novelist Edna O'Brien, about a divorcee who leaves her conventional life and takes up travelling in France. According to a post at the official Waterboys forum, Mike Scott, who chose the album name, has never read the book, and neither the album nor the title track share any other similarities with the novel.

The album was released in June 1984. Peter Anderson, writing in Record Collector asserts that there was "unanimous critical acclaim"

Usual place for listening

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

I find myself a bit ambivalent of The Waterboys. For some reason, I never got on with that epic sound the band developed over the years (I had the same problem with Big Country and Simple Minds i.e. interesting songs but the huge 80s production started to wear on me a bit after a while).

Mike Scott came across as a pretty cool guy it has to be said and I always liked the lyrics so for those reasons alone, I'm very happy to re-examine past preconceptions and give these guys another spin.

We're not dead yet!
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »

It's the original version - the recently remastered version includes bonus tracks within the main running order which were once intended to form part of the original release.

I will write some more later about how I first came to this album, and why I selected it for this purpose.

AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »

I've now included the 2002 remaster into the club page, as well as a tracklist for it.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »

That will just make my intro longer...not least because I do not agree with the inclusion of one of the main extra tracks  Grin

Ash
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »

I am aware of Whole of The Moon which is lovely but nothing else.  Though I am sure I have heard them before I certainly have never bought any.  Looking forward to it.

Sarah xxx<br /><br />\\\"Quick - where are the iron-on sausages?\\\"
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »

I did not pick the album which follows this, This Is The Sea, only because it includes The Whole Of The Moon, and over the years that has picked up something of a Kayleigh/Lavender effect with me  Grin

AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »

This Is The Sea is fab, though.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »

It is.  I prefer it to this album  Grin  I'm just beyond fed up of Whole Of The Moon, so I went with Pagan Place.

Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »

As far as I recall, I have never heard anything by The Waterboys. This is what I want from the Album Club - to be introduced (and perhaps warded off) music I wouldn't normally listen to. Looking forward to hearing it.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »

Some friends of the family in Dublin used to introduce me to Irish bands when I was in my early teenage years, and so it was that I knew of U2 while they were good.  And then in 1983 when I had firmly reached Prog through Metal they told me about a band 'who might as well be Irish' and I heard The Waterboys, the debut album by Mike Scott's band of the same name, and I was instantly hooked.  It was bright, lively, complex and utterly full of sounds.  It really was The Big Music, a tag given to their music after the name of one of the tracks on A Pagan Place, their second album.  To be honest, if you like this one then you really must listen to This Is The Sea, their third album, and the last of the Big Music albums before they became a raggle taggle band (and really did turn Irish) with Fisherman's Blues (which was the soundtrack for one of my years at Uni), because I think This Is The Sea is better than A Pagan Place.  But this is the first album from The Waterboys which I got myself, and it remains special for that reason.

I did mention that the reissue adds more tracks, and this is an interesting note on that aspect :

"A Pagan Place was another eight-song set "selected from a possible 15 -- the result of deliberations between myself and Ensign [his record label]," Scott writes. With the reissue, he has restored two songs -- "All the Things She Gave Me" and "The Thrill Is Gone" -- to their original lengths, each about a minute longer; added back "Some of My Best Friends Are Trains," a song cut for space; and included an additional five bonus tracks, some of which have turned up in one version or another subsequently. The result is a much better-realized album. Particularly, "Some of My Best Friends Are Trains" is an affecting, literary song that improves the original album, and "Down Through the Dark Streets," a nine-minute song that closes the reissue, is one of Scott's best compositions of the period, a typically soul-searching exploration. A Pagan Place, following from the statement of purpose that was The Waterboys, allows many of the doubts and conflicts, especially romantic and spiritual ones, that the earlier album did not acknowledge. It is a more complex work, and with more than 33 minutes added is now a more complete one."

Personally I am not so keen on Some Of My Best Friends Are Trains, but I expect you all to be up and dancing from the word go with the opening sounds to Church Not Made With Hands.

Enjoy.

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »

Who voted

I've never heard this before and love it

?

Because that has pretty much made my day  Smiley

Ash
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:42 AM »

yeah I sort of voted too early, I voted after side 1 but found side 2 a tad annoying - I want to change my vote to "ok"  Grin

It's not as good as This is the Sea.  Though I understand what you mean about the Kayleigh effect.

Sarah xxx<br /><br />\\\"Quick - where are the iron-on sausages?\\\"
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »

2 votes  Sad Roll Eyes

roger
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Dick Destiny, Ambassador to the Planet JamesA!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »

2 votes  Sad Roll Eyes

finally able to give a little listen...

even my name is mostly pROG.  But I'm ⓝⓞⓣⒷⒶⓇⓇⓎ
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: