Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of A Pagan Place?
I already knew it and love it - 2 (40%)
I already knew it but didn't enjoy it so much this time - 0 (0%)
I've never heard this before and love it - 1 (20%)
I've never heard this before and it was ok - 1 (20%)
I've never heard this before and didn't enjoy it so much - 1 (20%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: W/C 6th June - The Waterboys - A Pagan Place  (Read 7755 times)
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »

I have Manning homework, but soon...

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »

Oh, someone did not like it  Sad

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »

That was me I'm afraid.  Undecided I still really enjoy his lyrics but there is something inside of me that can't get around that signature sound of theirs. There is no denying that he had oodles of talent, that is very evident but I'm not there yet. Maybe some day soon. I always like to think there is nowhere in the garden I can't go so I will try again in the near future because I don't like to not like music. It always feels like I have failed instead of the music.

We're not dead yet!
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »

I'd never heard anything by The Waterboys before this, so again, I had no clue what to expect.

It was a lot more '80s than I'd expected, which I suppose shouldn't have surprised me so much.  Cheesy  I was immune to any ill effects that Simon may have felt from the "big sound" production as it was all new to me, but I did think the music may have benefitted from a more humble approach to that production. It felt like it was trying to be bigger than it needed to be and, in some cases, you could really tell that they'd been listening to too much U2. At least they weren't being as relelntlessly preachy about it (though further listens may prove this wrong). For the first few tracks, I was finding it a little hard going adjusting myself to their style but, towards the end of the record, I found that I quite liked it. I was starting to pay more attention to it (it was a bad idea to listen at a time when I was succumbing to the notion of sleep) and I liked what I heard. It's something that I think I could say that I would certainly return to if the opportunity arose. I might even get round to following James's recommendation of listening to the following album.

Now I know what to expect, I think I would get more out of this album on repeated listens, although it could do to be shorter. I listened to the 2002 remaster, so maybe the vinyl tracklisting will be the one to follow up on. Yes, I quite liked it.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

Because I'm a bit of an old folkie my favourite Waterboys album is Fisherman's Blues - a very different proposition...

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »

Very different indeed - although to my mind they became even more Irish folk with Room To Roam

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

Very different indeed - although to my mind they became even more Irish folk with Room To Roam
That's a fair assessment - Sharon Shannon played on that album, which will do it every time.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: