Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of Fog On The Tyne?
5 stars - a dyed-in-the-wool classic - 2 (40%)
4 stars - enjoyed it a lot - 0 (0%)
3 stars - enjoyed it just fine - 1 (20%)
2 stars - not great, but a few redeeming features - 0 (0%)
1 star - didn't like this at all - 2 (40%)
0 stars - where's my Mum? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: W/C 25th July - Lindisfarne - Fog On The Tyne  (Read 17387 times)
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »

Another of Guy's suggestions this week...

Lindisfarne - Fog On The Tyne (1971)

Fog On The Tyne was a 1971 album by English rock band Lindisfarne. Bob Johnston produced the album, which was recorded at Trident Studios in the summer of 1971. It was released on Charisma Records in England and Elektra Records in America.

It gave the group their breakthrough in England, topping the album charts early in 1972. "Meet Me On The Corner", one of two songs written by bassist Rod Clements, reached No. 5 as a single. The title track became the band's signature tune, though it was not released as a single until 1974, by which time the group had disbanded and reformed with a new line-up. Simon Cowe made his debut as a writer, contributing the song "Uncle Sam".

Usual place for listening

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

I luv Gazza, me.

Capt. Pugwash
Shark

Solo Artist (again)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »

Fantastic album...go buy this one and "Nicely out of tune" and "Dingly dell"...right now...go on...what are you waiting for...I'll wait here...
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »

I luv Noel Edmonds, me.

AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »

Fantastic album...go buy this one and "Nicely out of tune" and "Dingly dell"...right now...go on...what are you waiting for...I'll wait here...
Agreed - those first three records are just so, so good.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »

And by complete coincidence, the three Lindisfarne albums that Guy gave me.  Wink

By the way, Wilf - "Fog On The TOWN"? Sort it.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »

By the way, Wilf - "Fog On The TOWN"? Sort it.
You are so cruising for one...Wink

It's genetic - as a Wearsider I have problem even typing the "T" word.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »

Lindisfarne are one of the next bands on my collection filling list. I have a 'best of', and never seem to get around to buying any albums, so this should be interesting.
I saw a later version of the band at Guildford festival in the late 90s, almost by accident (basically we couln't be bothered to move to another stage), and they were absolutely stunning, almost the band of the weekend.
AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »

Lindisfarne are a band who will be forever wrapped up with truly golden memories of my mid and late teens. A group of us would go along and see them every year at their Christmas concerts at Newcastle City Hall, which was basically the best party you could imagine. They'd reach a certain point in the show and play the lead track from this album, Meet Me On The Corner, and everyone in the stalls would crowd down the front and stay there as they played the hits.

Many of those songs are on this record - Uncle Sam, January Song, Train In G Major, and the title track, of course, later destroyed by the very odd decision to re-record it with Paul Gascoigne. But there's not a bad track on this album - or on either of the other two they recorded at the start of the seventies, Nicely Out of Tune and Dingley Dell. But this one is my favourite...it sounds so, so good, and brings back amazing memories of great times with my mates when I was sixteen.

Alan Hull died in 1995, and it really did feel like the end of an era. His is the voice on January Song, and it still brings a tear to my eye to hear his voice singing about "the colours in a January sky".

I listened through the album in the office this afternoon and was struck by just how fresh it still sounds. It doesn't sound like it was made in 1971, the songs are timeless and musically uncomplicated, and maybe that's it's strength. I was taken back to Newcastle in 1982, seeing them supported by my cousin, Mike Elliott (who got his Channel 4 TV show not long afterwards), and missing the last train home because Lindisfarne kept getting encore after encore.

So yeah...just a few stars from me Smiley

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
Ash
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »

ok - I saw Lindisfarne and groaned, all I know is the Gascoigne thing and that Matt loves them - these seemed to always be enough evidence I would hate them

shall listen on Wed or Thurs I think

Sarah xxx<br /><br />\\\"Quick - where are the iron-on sausages?\\\"
AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »

ok - I saw Lindisfarne and groaned, all I know is the Gascoigne thing and that Matt loves them - these seemed to always be enough evidence I would hate them
The Gascoigne thing is a total, total aberration...this was over twenty years before that...trust me, it's worth a punt, at least Smiley

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »

I luv gazza, me  Grin

benb
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »

Brian Johnson of AC/DC has an amusing story about Lindisfarne's keyboard player in his recent car book
hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »

I went to Lindisfarne once and all I got was this picture.

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »

I went on several Sunday School trips to Lindisfarne. On on occasion we had to stay into the night because we missed the causeway tide.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: