Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Photos, Curry and A New Tinyfish EP.  (Read 19333 times)
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:57 PM »

Back in the land of the real for a few moments to report that everything in the land of fekkin’ bonkers appears to be going very well thanks.

After slaving away for what seems forever on the writing sessions for Shineback, normality (if you can call it that) was restored when Tinyfish got together for a photo session down at Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew, West London. For those of you not in the know, Kew is 121 hectares of gardens and botanical glasshouses that attract about 2 million visitors a year. The prog connection is that it was also the site of the first photo session for the post Syd Barrett Floyd

I’d love to tell you that this was the main reason we were down there but the real reason was that it was the only interesting (semi free) location any of us could think of which we hadn’t used already. Prosaic I’ll admit but it turned out to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

As usual, Bo Hansen was behind the camera to impart his usual brand of subtle wit and bonkers-ness into the lens and for some magical reason, Bo seems able to pull all the tension out of the air leaving us relaxed, manageable and dandruff free.

Most of you have probably seen the results of the session here:

http://www.tinyfish.org/gallery/0-2011/index.html

There was the normal amount of Tinyfish arse-ing about. Never let it be said this band doesn’t nurture the child within, even if it does mean Jim has to punch Leon in the face in order to remove a supposed fly from his cheek. You and I know different.

All told, it took us about 4-5 hours of wandering about, visiting various rarely trod corners of the gardens to get the material we required. I have to say that it was fantastic to hang out with the guys again as I don’t think we’d all been in the same place together since Rosfest in May.  

Even after an afternoon of wandering we still had enough energy to meet up with a sizable proportion of the Fishtank for a celebratory curry up at The India Club in central London during the evening. There was much quaffage, faffage and a little bit of Indian cabbage to boot. I think everybody enjoyed themselves and we all sat in the downstairs bar post nosh, stranded on various comfy chairs like beached whales, giggling, swapping stories, occasionally pausing to deal with trapped wind until we all decided it was time to bugger off home. Happy days.

Fast forward to the following weekend which saw Matt Steven over at The Crow’s nest for a bit of a sonic fling around the fretboard as he very graciously contributed his talents to the Shineback album. For more details on that little salon, I would suggest that you follow the link to the post below:

http://www.tinyfish.org/forums/index.php?topic=2321.390

Speaking of his royal talented bastard Matt-ness, last Saturday saw Robert, Paul and I down at the Peel in what feels like the first time in ages to see Matt and The Dec Burke band put in a brilliant evening’s entertainment. Twang and the staff have done a fantastic job tarting the place up but it was a little sad to see Twang forced to DJ for the strippers in the bar next door (not sad for Twang obviously). That said, Tawng’s trusted second in command (George) took over the organisation of the evening and everything ran like clockwork. Good job George!

You also can’t fault the music on show, Matt just slays me every time with his stuff and he always looks as though he’s giving it everything when he plays, even if it does mean that he snaps at least one string per gig as he thrashes about. I’d rather see that than have a bunch of static mannequins playing perfect notes at me all evening.

Dec’s band are just rocking my world at the moment. The guys seem to have developed a real chemistry between them and you can see the level of enjoyment and communication has reached that critical breaking of wind face which all good groups attain when they are concentrating on the emotion rather than the technical stuff.

Spot on chaps.

All of which more or less brings me up to date with the happenings in the Tinyverse. Now that things are beginning to shape up with Shineback I plan to set up a separate blog over at Shineback.org called The Memory House in the next month or so just to keep all things shinystuff and fishystuff in their appropriate places. I’ll notify everybody when the first blog is ready. Not sure if it’s going to be a written or video blog but rest assured, you’ll be the second to know.

Oh and last but by NO means least, a bit of news which I hope will bring a smile to your faces. I can officially confirm that Tinyfish will be reconvening very early in the New Year to begin work upon what is the band’s first official EP. The record is tentatively entitled Dial which will contain 4 new numbers if all goes well. The EP should be about 20-25 minutes long (including a new 10 minute plus title track) and will  see the début of songs written by Jim Sanders and Leon Camfield. Let me tell you, the initial demos are just kicking serious bottom right now.

More news on that front as it happens.

Lots of love

Tinyfish.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:27:29 AM by Robert » Logged

We're not dead yet!
Ash
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »

Smiley

Sarah xxx<br /><br />\\\"Quick - where are the iron-on sausages?\\\"
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »

Smiley

Can't say better really.
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »

TL;DR

Wink

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »

Smiley

Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:32 PM »

The empty chair in the curry shot is mine - I was busy taking the photo at the time.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
roger
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Dick Destiny, Ambassador to the Planet JamesA!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »

yay-fucking-yay!

even my name is mostly pROG.  But I'm ⓝⓞⓣⒷⒶⓇⓇⓎ
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »

heh

Smiley

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »

I am too thin to be seen in the photo.

gr8gonzo
Shark

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »

Smiley

Please pardon my lack of clever signature. I'm American.
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »

Very much liking all the smiles boys and girls.  Smiley

We're not dead yet!
The Naughty Sorceress
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »

More yay here!

It is the business of the panda to be dangerous: http://theasigma.wordpress.com/
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »

Smiley

Hippeau de la Course
Stingray

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »

A dial with only four numbers on it?
What use is that?!