Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of Stupid Dream?
5 stars - Top banana - 6 (42.9%)
4 stars - Worth repeating - 4 (28.6%)
3 stars - Pretty good - 4 (28.6%)
2 stars - Ho hum - 0 (0%)
1 star - Bit pants, really - 0 (0%)
0 stars - Bobbins - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: W/C 16th January 2012 - Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream  (Read 26515 times)
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

Should be interesting...

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »

HMV in "being a bit useful" shock.

Got the special edition with the DVD-A and all the extra gubbins in the nice hardback book for 12.

Will iPod and listen this evening...

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 03:03:29 PM »

Envy! I only have the pleb's version  Cry

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

Will have to check that I still have the CD I think I do but I know at one point I gave it to my friend Owain as at the time he liked it more than me but you couldn't get it anywhere so I gave him my CD.  A few years late when I started to like PT a lot more I got the CD back Smiley

Robert
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »

Will have to check that I still have the CD I think I do but I know at one point I gave it to my friend Owain as at the time he liked it more than me but you couldn't get it anywhere so I gave him my CD.  A few years late when I started to like PT a lot more I got the CD back Smiley

You probably won't get it back unless you join The Reasoning...

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

I have a few different versions  Cheesy

I have a promo copy with a sticker on the front stating which tracks to listen to if you are pushed for time.

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

The version on here is the reissued 2006 one, which is what I have on CD.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »

The revamped 2006 edition of the album features new stereo and 5.1 surround sound mixes, and completely new artwork. The DVDA additionally includes bonus 5.1 tracks, the stereo mix in higher resolution 24bit audio, the video for Piano Lessons, and a photo gallery. The 2 LP vinyl also uses the new stereo mix, as well as including the 2 bonus tracks in stereo.

The 2 bonus tracks are Ambulance Chasing and the full version of Even Less.

Robert
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »

That's the one, although the photos in the booklet are duller than a very dull thing in a dull sauce. Hopefully the ones on the DVD are better.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

Ooh, second song (I think), sounds like the intro to an Atlanta Rhythm Section track, I was enjoying that.
Purrdey
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »

I agree completely with Catherine, some of my fave PT songs on here.i love how every PT album is different.  I also have a soft spot for SW after our little cuddle ;-)
James_H
Siamese Fighting Fish

James H - The mini-spambot.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »

Listening now in 5.1 for the first time... Quite an odd mix, actually, sounds like a different album.

be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk/
http://flyingallnight.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/giggingforever
Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 08:16:30 PM »

This was the first PT album I bought way way back. I know i definitely had it in 99/00.

It was actually one of those "bargain bin" purchases. i think I was probably browsing, probably in HMV when I noticed the cover. I may have recognized the band name from reviews in Mojo or such like. Anyway an impulse buy for me.

It took me a while to get into it, in fact I took it into my office at the time and my PA (we all had them then Wink ) kept playing it on the CD player. I'd only really got as far as the first track (Even Less) and I liked Tinto Brass, but every so often I'd listen and hear those brilliant de-tuned metal chords that SW uses, but what struck me about them was that they have that "loud but not loud" production. In fact the production as whole stood out for me, words like supple, smooth but at the same time weighty and full bodied come to mind. Reminded me of the Floyd actually.

The drumming also stood out - Chris Maitland is a brilliant drummer. Anyway, long story short, my interest was piqued and developed into wholesale admiration of SW and PT from that point on (although I missed out Lightbulb Sun as it got a dreadful review in Mojo so I didn't bother at the time, only pickig up again when In Absentia came out).

As for the album, it's really stood the test of time. Quality songs, excellent playing and a production masterclass. An object lesson to any band I would suggest. As time has gone on, I appreciate much more the nuances and my 2 fave tracks are Baby Dream In Cellophane and the awesome A Smart Kid - what an atmos ! That guitar and keyboard call and response figure is just icy and so evocative. You can just imagine being the character in the song.

Barbieri is in top atmosphere creating patch mode on the whole album.

I now prefer the full length version of Even Less, but that's just me.

It's quite Floydian but without being obviously so and is a cornerstone album in the PT canon linking the psychedelia of the first albums with the more direct but harder edged stuff that the band has developed over the years. Interestingly, I detect more of swing back to this style in SW's writing for both The Incident and Grace For Drowning.

It's tempting to position SW as above criticism and is the saviour of all things prog, which I don't think he is, but he's a brilliant innovator and has a keen ear for sounds, melody, texture and production. There are sounds here that are echoed in a myriad other prog bands these days (it's getting a bit samey sometime tbh) but this is a fantastic album which I don't think will disappoint many people.

Not a cast iron classic (I reserve that for The Incident, FOABP and possibly Signify) but a second string PT album is still worth any number of hackneyed copyists. Highly recommended and a good shout.

Prog Fact - Johnny Mitchell auditioned for PT to play the role now performed by Jon Wesley in live gigs.

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »

A straight 5-star album...it all comes together here, a perfect combination of the older, psychedelic, ambient PT and impeccable songwriting, and it doesn't have the "ooh, I've remembered how much I like metal" rifforama of some of the later albums.

This may be my favourite of theirs, or it may be The Sky Moves Sideways or Signify, but they're faves for different reasons. The earlier albums are 'proggier', very ambient and lush; Stupid Dream (and Lightbulb Sun, for that matter) is all about the songs, albeit building on the sound palette that they'd perfected before.

It still sounds so, so fresh - nice one for suggesting it, James.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »

Hmmm - I'm tempted by the CD/DVD-A combo from HMV, but I'll be sensible and listen to it first - I have not got on with a lot of PT's more recent stuff, although I liked The Incident (although nowhere near as much as Grace For Drowning).

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: