Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of Stupid Dream?
5 stars - Top banana - 6 (42.9%)
4 stars - Worth repeating - 4 (28.6%)
3 stars - Pretty good - 4 (28.6%)
2 stars - Ho hum - 0 (0%)
1 star - Bit pants, really - 0 (0%)
0 stars - Bobbins - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: W/C 16th January 2012 - Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream  (Read 15117 times)
Teacher Travelling
Salmon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Hmmm - I'm tempted by the CD/DVD-A combo from HMV, but I'll be sensible and listen to it first - I have not got on with a lot of PT's more recent stuff, although I liked The Incident (although nowhere near as much as Grace For Drowning).

Go for it - you can't go wrong with a SW 5.1 mix and this is a quality album. I agree with the comments that GFD and parts of The Incident hark back to this era PT, and all the better for it with room for a lighter touch on the melody and even some glimmers of hope among the darkness and bitterness (by FOABP - great album though it is - I thought PT were becoming a bit of a parody of themselves in the miserableness stakes). I gave this a 4 - there's just something lacking for me to be a great album, not sure what, perhaps a bit meandering. I bought Lightbulb Sun some years after this (since it appears less often on PT recommended lists) and found it stronger, perhaps more focused - I would definitely recommend that one - and with the DVD-A too, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to: