Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What did you think of Beware Of Darkness?
5 stars - Top banana - 0 (0%)
4 stars - Worth repeating - 1 (33.3%)
3 stars - Pretty good - 2 (66.7%)
2 stars - Ho-hum - 0 (0%)
1 star - Bit pants, really - 0 (0%)
0 stars - Bobbins - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: W/C 20th February 2012 - Spock's Beard - Beware Of Darkness  (Read 4081 times)
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »

This came up on random on the iPod the other day while I was washing up...so...

Spock's Beard - Beware Of Darkness (1996)

Beware of Darkness is the second studio album by American progressive rock band Spock's Beard, released in 1996. The album was the band's first release following the addition of keyboardist Ryo Okumoto to the group.

The album features several short songs, in contrast to their debut album The Light which consisted of just four lengthy tracks.

More bloody prog.

Usual place for listening

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »

The three long songs are my favourites on this record,  The Doorway and Walking on the Wind in particular and I'm always happy to see those two in the live set.

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »

Washing up ?  I reckon God told you to do it...

AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »

Okay, I'll start with this one.

Beware of Darkness is probably my second favourite Spock's Beard album after Snow. It was the first SB record I heard, discovered when I was re-emerging into Progworld after several years away, not knowing anything about the new bands. I'd started wtih Transatlantic and worked from there, following the leads presented by the four members of that band...

Anyway, I can still remember almost laughing out loud when I heard the title track of BoD while walkng up to the Tube station on the way to work - the combination of Mellotron and Rickenbacker just made me think they were having a laugh. But the song drew me in - it had been so long since I heard the George Harrison original (on All Things Must Pass) that I didn't immediately make the correlation.

The Wikipedia articles says that BoD is comprised of shorter songs, but only just, and the quality is generally found in the longer compositions, which Spock's have always done really well, I think. The Doorway is a classic, superbly paced, and full of great performances including one of Neal's best vocals, in my view. Walking On The Wind is another great song, with a very epic feel to it - for some reason I see pictures of big skies and American praries when I listen to that one. Then there's Time Has Come, a great long song, often neglected in the shadow of its better-known brothers.

But the short songs are rather jolly, too - the title track, of course, as well as Thoughts (which had been around in their live set for a while before the album was recorded) and Waste Away, which was always a good stomper live. The guitar instrumental, Chatauqua, is a nice little piece, but it always seemed a bit superfluous to me.

So yeah, I like this one!

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »

Washing up ?  I reckon God told you to do it...
Well, funnily enough Neal Morse's solo albums are my usual washing-up soundtrack.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: