4 stars - worth repeating - 3 (42.9%)
3 stars - pretty good - 0 (0%)
2 stars - ho hum - 3 (42.9%)
1 star - bit pants, really - 0 (0%)
0 stars - bobbins - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: W/C 13th February 2012 - Änglagård - Hybris  (Read 6945 times)
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 10:35:30 PM »

I'd not heard this in a couple of years, and played it again while editing a report.
It may not be really accessible, but I really enjoyed this. Some very dramatic instrumental passages, including the 'church organ' sound at one stage. But I thought it was best when the vocals came in, with what seemed like a really melancholic effect - I think I've been listening to too many Swedish folk-rock bands.
If it's available in physical form at SE, I may have to purchase a copy.
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:02 PM »

The first thing that came to mind when listening to this was how good the playing was and how well arranged the pieces were. Anglagard certainly demonstrate how to co-ordinate a rock band to perform music in an orchestral manner without actually sounding classical much if at all. It seems to be very well recorded and produced, too. (I can't comment further than that because the audio compression on this version really was noticable. I'm sorry Wilf, I really do appreciate you going to the effort of making all these albums available to us here. At least I know the album sounds better in general on an original copy!)

However, what Anglagard have also done here was emulate the general 1970s prog sound and style almost to perfection. Which is my main problem with the album. For me, it's a typical sounding album for its genre, which is a genre which isn't really supposed to have a typical sound by its own definition. This album sounded like I'd heard it all before, so it just didn't grip me or attract my attention in any way. It drifted by as a pleasant listen, but I didn't hear anything new in it apart from the band's loving tribute towards that '70s sound. And I think, for me, that's what this album is - a tribute. It's a tribute to those vintage sounds, those ideas and those styles of the time, which were all pioneered by someone else. That's something which I think strips it of a lot of depth. And it meant I started to find it a bit predictable.

It's very well made and the playing is impressive, but for me that's where my interest ends.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:13 AM »

What he said.

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »

(I can't comment further than that because the audio compression on this version really was noticable. I'm sorry Wilf, I really do appreciate you going to the effort of making all these albums available to us here. At least I know the album sounds better in general on an original copy!)
It's more likely to be the result of me using 96k MP3 for the Listening Club...which is deliberate, as I don't want us to be accused of putting music up which people will want to pirate.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »

I don't want us to be accused of putting music up which people will want to pirate.
That's pretty much determined by the choice of music...

Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »

(I can't comment further than that because the audio compression on this version really was noticable. I'm sorry Wilf, I really do appreciate you going to the effort of making all these albums available to us here. At least I know the album sounds better in general on an original copy!)

It's more likely to be the result of me using 96k MP3 for the Listening Club...which is deliberate, as I don't want us to be accused of putting music up which people will want to pirate.

Good point, mate.  Smiley

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
benb
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

Decent Prog.
I actually like a lot of the new stuff that sounds dated but that may be because i like the musical style/sound of Prog.
It's long since stopped being particularly progressive?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: