Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Limited?  (Read 11631 times)
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:42:14 AM »

On the radio this morning, there was a discussion about changing the speed limit from 70mph to 80mph on the motorways.

And it seems that most people are in favour.

I find this rather odd.  Putting aside the impossibility of doing 80 along the M4 from Reading to London at any time between 07:00 and 20:00, it does seem to me unecessarily fast.

What is the point?  If you have 80 miles to travel, it'll save about 9 minutes.  Surely people aren't so worried about 9 minutes....  Are they so incapable that they can't set off a little earlier. 

Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »

People seem worried enough about being a car's lenght in front in heavy traffic to cut you up or refuse to let you in, so why they wouldn't be worried about a whole nine minutes saved...

People are arse.

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Paul
Band Member
Shark

Yep, that's me alright.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:12:04 AM »

From my experience most people drive at 80 on the motorway already. I think this is because the police tend to ignore this on their speed checks, and concentrate on the loonies haring down the outside lane at 100+, and those that zoom in between lanes. If the limit goes up to 80, then there will be those that now drive at 80 driving at 90 and it all spirals out from there.
The motorways would work a  lot better if people just used the inside lane when it's empty instead of hogging the middle one.

I could just do with a bacon butty right now.
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »

Yes, a better idea would be to enforce decent lane discipline.  There are 4 lanes where I join the M1 in the morning.  Most times the inside lane is empty, and from the point where I join I can see for about a mile...if everyone shifted across the outside lane would be empty and could be used for overtaking, as is intended.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »

The discussions I've heard of with the DfT, suggest raising the speed limit, but leaving the speed camera and police enforcement threshold where it is, ie. still prosecute those doing 85mph and above.
Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »

The bit on the M25 where it's 6 lanes seems to work pretty well. In that scenario, the  lane discipline thing doesn't work and people tend to move at different speeds i different lanes and overtake/undertake as necessary.

It isn't actually illegal or necessarily bad driving to undertake a slower vehicle on a motorway or dual carriageway.

In my experience on a free flowing motorway, the apparent speed of the vehicles seems to settle around 80ish anyway, and you'd be really unlucky if you got done at that speed on a motorway.

The argument I heard on the radio this morning that people aren't capable of controlling vehicles at 80 but are at 70 is of course, utter nonsense. 

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »

Well, it would be true to say that your chances of being able to avoid a hazardous situation at 80 are less than at 70, simply by virtue of the fact that the faster you go, the greater the scope for it all going horribly wrong.

My wife's grandad was an ambulance driver. They had charts in their vehicles which showed the differences in the amount of time it took to travel various distances at different speeds. The difference between 70 and 80 is pretty minuscule.

And, of course, if you put the limit up to 80, you'll get those who'll use that as an excuse to do 90.

Silly idea.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

NEWS IN 2112:

The World Government has agreed to increase the speed limit by 10mph to 190mph and the mounting of machine guns to cars in order to clear slow moving traffic from the path of the rich or stupid. The recently revived Queen Mother who now heads the World Security Forces from her home on the moon said' This is a boon for anyone wishing to get to the London Borough of Reading to the London Borough of Paris within the usual 90 minutes stipulated by the Road Wars act. It will also show those bastards in the Solar Federation that we don't need their bloody guitars.'

In other news Chelsea Football Club are still attempting to win The Champions League. Manager Adolf Silvia Tampon said '41st time lucky, that's what I say!'

We're not dead yet!
Jim
Band Member
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

NEWS IN 2112:

The World Government has agreed to increase the speed limit by 10mph to 190mph and the mounting of machine guns to cars in order to clear slow moving traffic from the path of the rich or stupid. The recently revived Queen Mother who now heads the World Security Forces from her home on the moon said' This is a boon for anyone wishing to get to the London Borough of Reading to the London Borough of Paris within the usual 90 minutes stipulated by the Road Wars act. It will also show those bastards in the Solar Federation that we don't need their bloody guitars.'

In other news Chelsea Football Club are still attempting to win The Champions League. Manager Adolf Silvia Tampon said '41st time lucky, that's what I say!'

As a part time Gooner you ought to be cheering Chelsea on tomorrow since, if Chelsea win the Champion's League it will deny your arch rivals Tottenham a place in next Season's Champion's League competition. Other than that, everything you've mentioned above makes perfect sense. ;-)
Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »

NEWS IN 2112:

What do the Priests of the Temple Of Syrinx think about this ?
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »

Oh that Simon - another boy, who helped destroy the elder race of men.

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »

As a part time Gooner you ought to be cheering Chelsea on tomorrow since, if Chelsea win the Champion's League it will deny your arch rivals Tottenham a place in next Season's Champion's League competition. Other than that, everything you've mentioned above makes perfect sense. ;-)
You are quite right. I hadn't thought of that so I shall F8ck the shut up this very minute. C'mon you Blues!!

We're not dead yet!
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

I'll be trying to avoid the score between getting out of the Millenium Centre at 9.55 and getting home for the highlights.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »

Yes, a better idea would be to enforce decent lane discipline. 
Indeed.  

The argument I heard on the radio this morning that people aren't capable of controlling vehicles at 80 but are at 70 is of course, utter nonsense.  
I don't know about this, but I think we should also consider the consequence of accidents at 80 as opposed to 70.

Purrdey
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »

In my old car the warning I was doing >70 was a deafening shake rattle & roll from my poor car. I don't hear a cheep from my new car so it's easy to creep over the limit unless I'm really careful (which I an of course!).
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: