Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Abbey Festival  (Read 3591 times)
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »

I'm thinking about going to the Sunday of Abbey Festival.

http://www.abbeyfest.net/

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »

Bellowhead are very much worth a look see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0Ff83spQw

We're not dead yet!
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »

Bother. It's local and I can't go.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »

Bellowhead are playing the Coal Exchange in November and Mme Cholet has expressed an interest, so I suspect we will be going.

Q: Is it compulsory to wear a waistcaot and 'kerchief for a folk gig  Grin

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »

Sorry, can't hear you, got my finger in my ear.

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:37:17 PM »

Wilf will hunt you both down like dogs for such talk.

We're not dead yet!
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »

Only if he can get through his front door while wearing all those Aran sweaters.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »

I think that Bellowhead sounded good - interesting.  I'd probably listen to them at a live show.  But not this time.

The Naughty Sorceress
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »

Seen Bellowhead about 5 times at various festivals - still can't see what all the fuss is about  Undecided

It is the business of the panda to be dangerous: http://theasigma.wordpress.com/
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »

Bellowhead are playing the Coal Exchange in November and Mme Cholet has expressed an interest, so I suspect we will be going.

Q: Is it compulsory to wear a waistcaot and 'kerchief for a folk gig  Grin

Personally, folk gig attire normally includes a death metal t-shirt and a leather jacket.
The Naughty Sorceress
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:16:36 PM »

I one nearly got beaten up by a posh-sounding middle aged woman at an Oysterband gig because she didn't like my mohawk...

It is the business of the panda to be dangerous: http://theasigma.wordpress.com/
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:23 PM »

I've enjoyed Bellowhead the couple of times I've seen them, though despite what's often said about them there's not a lot  new there, and I prefer Spiers and Boden as a duo.

I've been to folk gigs which have been amongst the most open, accepting and friendly events I've encountered, and to others which were so uncomfortable as to resemble Ku Klux Klan gatherings. Fortunately the former outweigh the latter - but traddy folk bigots can be horrid, and they're not usually the ones in the Aran sweaters. Just go as you are Wink

For the record I own two Arans, both knitted by my Mum...one is a traditional ecru pure wool one which I've had for years and is incredibly warm, the other in a rather nice greeny-blue, and which I'm wearing now, in fact.

The older I get the more committed I am to folk. It goes in and out of fashion, but is never 'fashionable', despite the attempts of the meedjah it never goes away, and at its best it allows an outlet for absolutely everyone. The performers you hear about are the tip of a huge iceberg - go to a decent folk club and you'll hear floor singers varying in quality from excellent to abysmal, all getting an appreciative response. It doesn't matter that you can't sing, what matters is that you have a go, and folk music gives you a forum to do it. It's entertaining to watch because it's heartfelt and genuine (and usually a floor spot only lasts a few minutes, so if they're dreadful at least it's short).

If Bellowhead inspire people to try other folk music, then they're doing a great job in addition to doing a great live show.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
The Naughty Sorceress
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

I've been to folk gigs which have been amongst the most open, accepting and friendly events I've encountered, and to others which were so uncomfortable as to resemble Ku Klux Klan gatherings. Fortunately the former outweigh the latter

I'd say that's about right!

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

I've been to folk gigs which have been amongst the most open, accepting and friendly events I've encountered, and to others which were so uncomfortable as to resemble Ku Klux Klan gatherings. Fortunately the former outweigh the latter

I'd say that's about right!

Yes, sums it up quite well.
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »

(and usually a floor spot only lasts a few minutes, so if they're dreadful at least it's short).

to quote Bernard Black, whilst thrusting a book at a customer: "Try this, it's dreadful, but quite short"

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: