Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Mr So and So + Tin Spirits at maltby May 18th  (Read 8378 times)
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:28:18 AM »

Is their current material so weak that they need to pad out the set with so many covers?  I counted 3 XTC covers (fair enough) plus:
- Genesis - Back in NYC
- KC - Red
- Yes - Roundabout
- Zappa - something or other that I don't know
- Steely Dan - Bodhisattva

Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 07:14:11 AM »

They didn't play Red or Back in NYC or any Zappa on Saturday, and the new stuff they played did not sound weak, nor did the tracks from Wired to Earth. I think it's quantity rather than quality that is the issue... Everything they played was top-notch.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »

So they got a shorter set in Maltby then.  Which does suggest that they padded out the Greatfield gig with covers.

Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »

Tin Spirits have released one album, which features five tracks, one of which is Back In NYC. Adding a few covers that go down well with a crowd is a good way of extending a set which is longer than your so-far only album.

Bands used to do it all the time way back when. Hendrix included covers in his set that had been released by the original artists the day before he played them. The Who's sets were full of covers right up to the late '70s. Countless blues and country acts base their entire sets around a body of work written by someone else, reinterpreted or adapted in some way. Or sometimes, the band just have fun playing them. There are many reasons why people play covers, but it shouldn't mean that their original material is anything like weak.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »

Tin Spirits have released one album, which features five tracks, one of which is Back In NYC. Adding a few covers that go down well with a crowd is a good way of extending a set which is longer than your so-far only album.

Bands used to do it all the time way back when. Hendrix included covers in his set that had been released by the original artists the day before he played them. The Who's sets were full of covers right up to the late '70s. Countless blues and country acts base their entire sets around a body of work written by someone else, reinterpreted or adapted in some way. Or sometimes, the band just have fun playing them. There are many reasons why people play covers, but it shouldn't mean that their original material is anything like weak.

Quite right.

Everytime I have seen them - which is 4 times now -  they have played covers and I've never felt short changed. I suppose you coud pay a tenner and hear 4 songs, but I suspect that would generate more of a moan.
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

I didn't realise at the gig that I was buying an EP rather than an album but it's still good.
I agree with Catherine that the new songs (3 or 4 of them) didn't sound weak on Saturday, far from it.
They played Roundabout (of course, see my video) and two XTC covers. the rest was original stuff.
Cath photographed the set list (and everything else as far as I could tell  Wink) so exactly how many songs they played should be easy to find out.
It didn't seem like a short set to me and made an excellent support for Mr Soanso.

Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »

They played a few new tunes at Riffs. I love Tin Spirits, Bert got me into them. I surprised Dave by bringing Andy and Greg from BBT along. Ee were made oop!

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:22:27 PM »

Top band, Tin Spirits.

And I like a band who can play covers with conviction and give them their own spin. I've never bought the idea that you're somehow being cheated if a band don't play wholly original material.

Let's face it - there are enough progressive rock bands around who write material that's so derivative it's indistinguishable from yer Genesises, Yeses and Pink Floyds.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Wobbler, for example... Cheesy

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »

They played a few new tunes at Riffs. I love Tin Spirits, Bert got me into them.

Only Steven Wilson and Threshold to go  Wink
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »

Wobbler, for example... Cheesy
You make a good point - though I rather like the way Wobbler do it.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

My one of those is Heidi Berry. Almost all her songs are the same, but I absolutely love it.

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »

Some people are like that about Neal Morse and his three songs.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »

They played a few new tunes at Riffs. I love Tin Spirits, Bert got me into them.

Only Steven Wilson and Threshold to go  Wink
Oh yeah......

James_H
Siamese Fighting Fish

James H - The mini-spambot.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

Some people are like that about Neal Morse and his three songs.

I was for a long time. I might be better now, though.

be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk/
http://flyingallnight.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/giggingforever
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: