Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: 2014 gigs  (Read 60506 times)
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »

Thanks Rog Smiley

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »

You still got some decent shots Mike, despite the shooting location.
I've still not finished going through the shots from the Riverside show on Monday. I find that my rate of progress is one of those things where the mood I'm in matters far more than the time I have available.

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

Thanks Rick  Smiley

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »

A review of the gig including photos by me http://rockunited.com/foreigneruk14.htm

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:21 PM »

I like the one of Joey stretching his hand out to you.

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »

I like the one of Joey stretching his hand out to you.

I have a  series of about 10-15 photos him doing that with different expressions, the one that's in that review is probably the best.

I got lucky as he spotted my camera and just stayed looking at me for a few seconds, he's a great front man and a joy to photograph

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »

I've updated the blog with a few more photos

http://wp.me/p11dTQ-7M

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »

Feast Of Fiddles - Tewkesbury Roses Theatre - 17th April 2014
I've seen these tours listed for years, and finally bought a ticket, not really knowing what to expect. And I certainly didn't expect the horde that took to the stage at the start of the evening. This band certainly isn't going to play small arts centres. The front line alone consisted of 7 fiddle players and an accordion player, with a full 5-piece rock band as back-up. I recognised Phil Beer from Show Of Hands, Chris Leslie from Fairport Convention, and Peter Knight from Steeley Span, plus Dave Mattacks on drums, but the other players were unknown to me. They started the gig with a Led Zep song, followed by some folky tunes, and then most of the players left the stage. For the next fifty minutes or so, the fiddle players then almost played in a revue format, some with the backing band, some without, playing basically solo songs, before the full line-up returned to the stage to finish the first set with a run through of the theme from the Magnificent Seven (with added folky bits).
For the second set, the full band stayed on stage the whole time, with the star players taking it in turns to lead the whole ensemble through tunes. Most of the backing band also got some solo spotlight, which was good, and everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves on stage. It was also interesting to see the guy from the Battlefield Band (name admittedly forgotten) playing a twin-next bouzouki, which is not something you see every day. After a 75-minute second set (including encore), it was time to end the evening with applause and a mass bow from the band.
This was a definite folk-rock show, and considering all the fiddles, it didn't sound anywhere near as cacophonous as many people would think it should. The Roses Theatre was sold-out for the event, lots of CDs were sold, and everybody seemed to leave very happy. I may even be tempted to try to go see the next tour.

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »

I've uploaded more photos of Foreigner, Europe and FM to this Flickr Set

Foreigner by MikeEvstog, on Flickr

Europe by MikeEvstog, on Flickr

roger
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Dick Destiny, Ambassador to the Planet JamesA!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »

awesome.

even my name is mostly pROG.  But I'm ⓝⓞⓣⒷⒶⓇⓇⓎ
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »

Yay - got tickets to see Peter Gabriel in Cardiff. Bit pricey for a home gig, but a lot less than going somewhere else.

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »

Jump's acoustic show in the Norwegian Church in Cardiff Bay was wonderful. JDJ is such a wonderful storyteller and the band was both relaxed and together. Nice to see friends there as well, including Bo and Claire.

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »

Ravens & Lullabies tonight in Swindon.
I wonder if Mr.Giltrap is going to look more confident with a couple more electric gigs done, or look as confused as he sometimes did at Summer's End.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »

Ravens & Lullabies in Swindon.
Not a huge crowd, but a really good atmosphere. It was "end-of-tour" and the band were in playful mode. A bit less me-me-me from Oliver Wakeman, the normal slightly disorganised Paul Manzi, and a cheerful Gordon Giltrap. The extra couple of gigs have obviously done the band good, and the playing was excellent.
I wasn't sure after the Summer's End show, but it would be a pity if this was the last R&L show.
Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »

Ravens & Lullabies in Swindon.
Not a huge crowd, but a really good atmosphere. It was "end-of-tour" and the band were in playful mode. A bit less me-me-me from Oliver Wakeman, the normal slightly disorganised Paul Manzi, and a cheerful Gordon Giltrap. The extra couple of gigs have obviously done the band good, and the playing was excellent.
I wasn't sure after the Summer's End show, but it would be a pity if this was the last R&L show.

That was, apparently, the last show which is why it was so disappointing that the numbers were so low for the whole tour. I reckon that production should be in theatres not tiny venues.
Loved George Wilding in support as well.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Jump to: