Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: 2014 gigs  (Read 60504 times)
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Ravens & Lullabies in Swindon.
Not a huge crowd, but a really good atmosphere. It was "end-of-tour" and the band were in playful mode. A bit less me-me-me from Oliver Wakeman, the normal slightly disorganised Paul Manzi, and a cheerful Gordon Giltrap. The extra couple of gigs have obviously done the band good, and the playing was excellent.
I wasn't sure after the Summer's End show, but it would be a pity if this was the last R&L show.

That was, apparently, the last show which is why it was so disappointing that the numbers were so low for the whole tour. I reckon that production should be in theatres not tiny venues.
Loved George Wilding in support as well.

George Wilding - thanks for that, we didn't catch his second name. A couple of very interesting songs in his set.
mattstevens
Shark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »

Not a huge crowd, but a really good atmosphere. It was "end-of-tour" and the band were in playful mode. A bit less me-me-me from Oliver Wakeman, the normal slightly disorganised Paul Manzi, and a cheerful Gordon Giltrap. The extra couple of gigs have obviously done the band good, and the playing was excellent.
I wasn't sure after the Summer's End show, but it would be a pity if this was the last R&L show.

Strange, i thought these dates would be rammed. Oliver and Gordon are lovely fellas.

My is web site is www.mattstevensguitar.com - i make guitar noodles.
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2014, 06:20:45 AM »

Strange, i thought these dates would be rammed. Oliver and Gordon are lovely fellas.

I don't know what his fans thought of the R&L album and reports from the Summers End show, but I really thought there would be more Giltrappists at the Swindon gig.
MarkS
Shrimp

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »

Just saw Yes and they were surprisingly good.  Jon Davison seems to have revitalized the band, songs are now being played at correct tempo. Going for the one was the highlight for me
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2014, 07:00:48 PM »

IQ in Islington last night were excellent.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »

They sure were and it was good to see those of this parish there.  Grin

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »

Indeed. Sorry I missed you Freddie but I think I was a bit late  Embarrassed

Purrdey
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2014, 08:16:20 AM »

From Beyond the Redshift, these guys opened and I can't stop listening to them  Grin
http://www.pglost.com/
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »

Nine Inch Nails in Cardiff tonight. Not sure how it's going to be. To be completely truthful I am going to see them to tick them off the list, but I believe they are an impressive live band and it'll be fun to meet up with Mike Evans for a gig again.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »

In addition to Summers End, i've booked a ticket for Eppyfest in Stroud. Conversations at the Trinity event suggest the headliners Flutatious should be worth seeing, and it's my chance to see The Fierce And The Dead, all within a few miles of home.
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »

Feck feck feck - Jeff Lynne/ELO are playing Hyde Park on the day I get back from holiday and I don't think I will be able to make it. They are the one bucket list band I have left, although I did see ELO II with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra many years ago.

Purrdey
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »

I'm going to Hebcelt festival in July, very much looking forward to this adventure (not so much the driving though)
http://www.hebceltfest.com/festival/programme/

Pretty folky stuff but I've never been to the Hebrides and haven't camped for many years.

Particularly looking forward to Rachel Sermanni, Michael Cassidy, Hunter & the Bear, This Silent Forest and discovering lots of new music. Big Country headlining Friday and The Levellers on Saturday.

Hope the weather's good!
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »

EppyFest 3 - Stroud Lansdown Hall, 5th July 2014.
This must be what they term a boutique festival. I think the audience only rose above the 50 mark during The Fierce & The Dead's set, and that was because there were two other bands watching. For those who attended Winter's End a few years ago, EppyFest was held in the same hall, although it seemed a bit larger than my memory recalled, possibly because it was never blacked out (most bands played in natural -and hot - daylight), and possibly because there were chairs for almost everybody in attendance.
After the traditional festival late start, I Am Your Autopilot got the music underway. Playing in semi-acoustic, drummer-less trio format, they were pleasantly under-stated, while still being rocky enough to keep my attention. And then they played a Klaatu song, not 'Calling Occupants...', which is always a plus point for me.
Second up were The Fierce & The Dead. This was the first time I'd seen Matt in band format, and I was interested in how it would work. I didn't need to worry, it was the same sort of Matt, with added band, layering riffs and melodies over a solid rhythm section (including a stand-in drummer - amazing). The finale was standard Matt as well, as he jumped from the stage, having inadvertently wrapped his guitar strap around a microphone and stand, which also therefore left the stage - cue chaos and confused looks. Good gig so far.
I have to admit, Thumper Monkey were a bit of a disappointment. After Summer's End, I was expecting a bit more of a powerful performance. The bass player was still interesting to watch, the keyboard player was still humourous, and they were still rhythmically all over the place, it just didn't seem to work on the day.
Half-time. Some of the audience had booked a festival-supplied meal in the gallery downstairs, while the rest of us were ejected to sample the delights of Stroud.
One hour later, the music resumed with Andy Pickford. Another name new to me. Forty-three minutes of one man occasionally prodding his keyboard. Let's say it was not visually stimulating. The music was quite good, but it didn't really seem to need to be 'live'.
The name Henry Fool also meant nothing to me. I really should read the magazines more diligently, then I'd have known I was going to see Tim Bowness. Having said that, I think they only played two Henry Fool songs, the rest of the set being NoMan or Tim Bowness solo material. It was a good proggy set, although I could have done without the somewhat discordant sax honking. Lambsie's comment on the other hand was "I love that jazzy s**t". Another interesting band.
The headliners were Flutatious. I'd gathered opinion on them from informed sources, listened to a couple of songs on their website, and they didn't disappoint. Mostly instrumental, they reminded me of a more muscular dance-y Ozrics, with added fiddle. Possibly the perfect Stroud or festival band. They even got a few people dancing and I bought some CDs. Excellent end to a good day.
I didn't know what to expect when I booked my ticket for EppyFest. I was surprised by the audience numbers. I only knew half of the bands, and knowing what the organiser plays on his Epileptic Gibbon podcast, it could have been a car-crash to my ears. It actually ended up being thoroughly enjoyable and friendly day, but if the organiser breaks even I'll be very surprised. Roll on next year.
gr8gonzo
Shark

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

Jem Godfrey, Andy Edwards & Steve Lawson are doing an improv gig 10 August.

http://www.stevelawson.net/upcoming_gigs/

Please pardon my lack of clever signature. I'm American.
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »

In case anyone does not know:

As you know ‘Alchemy’ is coming to London this summer for its first ‘Off West End’ appearance.

The shows will take place over five days… 12th – 16th August, with an additional matinee performance on the 16th.
The venue is the Jermyn Street Theatre, London, SW1Y 6ST
Nearest tube station is Piccadilly Circus.

Please do come along if you can.

Tickets cost £22 (£18 concessions), but there is an ‘early bird’ offer until July 12th where the tickets can be purchased for £17.

There are only a few left for the Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, so don’t wait too long.

Tickets can be bought by following the link:

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/jermynstreettheatre/list.aspx?tagref=45

Or ring the box office:
020 7287 2875

Why not check out our latest video clip at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSlp6B_ek2E&feature=youtu.be

More information regarding ‘Alchemy’ can be found at:

alchemythemusical.com

See you there!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:28:23 AM by Robert » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print