Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: 2014 gigs  (Read 65094 times)
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2014, 07:37:31 AM »

Crippled Black Phoenix.  The new album is out very soon as well.

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »

I read that Transatlantic were selling tshirts for £30 last night  Shocked

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »

I read that Transatlantic were selling tshirts for £30 last night  Shocked
£25 and £30 for the shirts IIRC. I didn't get one.
More for the hoodies. I didn't buy one of those either.
A cymbal as used by Portnoy for the recording was on sale for £500. I certainly didn't buy that.

The show was great. Maybe not quite as great as last time for the Whirlwind tour but still really good. The crowd noticably livened up when they played a cut-down version of the Whirlwind.

R

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »

£25 or 30 is an appropriate amount for selling t-shirts.  I understand the economics of trying to break even on tours, but this is just too much.

Dave J
Sprat

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »

They weren't even selling merch in the balcony.

Thought the sound was a bit muddy at times and playing all the new album which while good is IMO their weakest to date is probably why the older stuff went down better. Still a quality band though.
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »

Ted did look bored at times though. He was the same for the Spock's Beard show last year which, as I recall, didn't go down too well among some of the fishtank.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »

The Pretty Things - Frome Cheese & Grain, 15th March 2014.
The Pretty Things are one of those bands that I never expected to see live (or that could say alive), but with a 50th anniversary tour underway, and the chance of a free ticket, this was too good to miss.
First off, get there early, load-in the Worried Men's gear, and be pleasantly surprised that today's bass player is somebody i've not seen for a couple of years and is more normally found on the West Midlands / South Wales scene, and he's good. And then after a soundcheck, it's the long wait for the doors to open, during which we realise that they've spent a bit of money on the venue. Some of it looks well up-to-date, and hopefully they've got the money to complete the job.
Ten minutes after the doors open, the Worried Men take the stage for 40 minutes of rocked-up blues, which seemed to go down well with the couple of hundred people in attendance. Well enoough to get an encore, for which thay were joined by Del Bromham to run through 'Roadhouse Blues'. Great, get the gear off stage, and it's time to relax.
Del Bromham was playing a solo set as the middle part of the evening. He could be described as one of the main reasons I got interested in this music lark, so I was looking forward to seeing him in a lone setting, rather than with Stray. I already knew he was a rather good guitarist, and chatting to him before the gig, I was glad to find him thoroughly likeable. His relatively short set was a masterclass in getting some very electric sounds from an acoustic guitar, while playing some good old blues, and then he made my evening by playing 'Around The World In 80 Days' from the first Stray album, which I never thought I'd hear live.
And then it was the Pretty Things. I have to admit, that apart from vocalist Phil May, I have no idea if anybody else is an original member (although one guitarist certainly looks like he could be), but they do make a good noise. They played a mixture of old r'n'b stompers and tracks from SF Sorrow. I thought they'd need keyboards for the Sorrow tracks, but the guitarists made the correct sounds without much trouble which was impressive.
After nearly an hour of the Pretty Things set, the pain was beginning to kick in, so I decided to make a run for home, quite certain that there were no more surprises to come (until I get told otherwise).
One piece of news from the evening - there is a Pink Fairies line-up going on tour in June, which should be interesting.

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »

The Devin Townsend Project are playing two warm up shows prior to Sonisphere

3rd July Nottingham Rock City
4th July The Assembly Leamginton Spa

I've just bought a ticket for Nottingham

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2014, 01:04:18 AM »

Just back from seeing Tragedy, the All-Metal tribute to the Bee Gees.

It's going to be some time before my grin stops hurting. That was so much fun.

R

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »

I've just seen the line-up listed on the Riffs site for the Credo / Simon Godfrey gig on Saturday evening. I think the venue will be filled by bands alone, even before any audience get in.
And Riffs have got a Lifesigns gig as a tour warm-up this evening, which I may pop along to.
Ash
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »

and all for a tenner!  I am looking forward to it  Smiley

Sarah xxx<br /><br />\\\"Quick - where are the iron-on sausages?\\\"
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »

I have the children and a meal out with my parents or I might actually have dragged myself along on Saturday.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »

Lifesigns – Riffs Bar, 26th March 2014

I only noticed this gig was on because I was checking on details for Credo on Saturday, and wasn’t sure to go or not. To be perfectly honest, the Lifesigns album is good background music, although it doesn’t seem to have enough songs for me, but in the hope that some welly may be supplied live, I decided to go. And I’m glad I did. The first person I saw as I walked through the door was a mate from Swindon who I’d not seen for a while, so an up-date on his bands was in order, and then RobH wandered over. Rob was there as a ‘trial run’ for the Saturday gig, and brought Simon with him, although Simon seemed to be constantly distracted by one muso or another for most of the evening.
And Lifesigns?  They were surprisingly good. With only 55 minutes on the album, they needed some old John Young Band tunes and at least one new song to complete a full set, which on this occasion was split in two. Don’t ask me what the songs were, because I don’t know the names, but it did seem to be first set of longer ‘soundscape’ numbers, and the second set more poppy and accessible, although John Young’s voice could be a bit stronger to get the best effect on these songs. Backing vocals from the bass player was a great help here, and he provided a visual aspect to the band, who were otherwise pretty static. Apparently he’s one Jon Poole, ex-Cardiacs (amongst many others), and it looked as if he desperately wanted to jump around, but the music didn’t really suit that sort of activity. By the end of the second set, I think we’d been sucked into the sound being played and were enjoying ourselves, although John Young could work on his stage-craft a bit – his sudden ends of each set were almost bizarre.
For a band who’s album I don’t really like, it was a far better than expected evening.

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

Just back from seeing Tragedy, the All-Metal tribute to the Bee Gees.

It's going to be some time before my grin stops hurting. That was so much fun.

R

Photos now up.
This gives a taste (ahem!) of what to expect from the show.

Confetti was everywhere. (For bonus points look for the t-shirt)

Pink ukulele flying-vee solo!!!

It's rare to see people put in the effort to look the part these days.

The rest are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjforster/sets/72157643159417803/

R

Capt. Pugwash
Shark

Solo Artist (again)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »

Hey, he's nicked my hat Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Print
Jump to: