Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: 2014 gigs  (Read 65095 times)
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »

Hey, he's nicked my hat Smiley
Obvious now you mention it. I hadn't noticed before now.

I'm trying to think of classic disco numbers you could add to your set  Grin

Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

Marillion Xmas dates announced - we'll be going to The Forum on 11 December.

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Capt. Pugwash
Shark

Solo Artist (again)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »

I am putting together my Captain & Tenille set as we speak  Grin
roger
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Dick Destiny, Ambassador to the Planet JamesA!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »

Muskrat love.

even my name is mostly pROG.  But I'm ⓝⓞⓣⒷⒶⓇⓇⓎ
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

Riverside were great on Friday. I'm off to see them again in a little while.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

R

Purrdey
Seel-o-canth

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »

They were amazing indeed!
Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »

Riverside were great on Friday. I'm off to see them again in a little while.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

R

Hopefully they'll be good tomorrow.
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »

I might have a 3 gig weekend, photographing Journey, Europe and FM on Friday, Within Temptation & Delain at Wembley Arena on Saturday and Panic Room at the Globe on Sunday. 

I will see how I feel when I get back from London on Sunday and decide about going to Cardiff.

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »

Riverside were excellent at the Fleece in Bristol, although they seemed puzzled by the pillars throughout the venue (including on the stage). There was a very good crowd in the venue, and Riverside have promised to come back on the next tour, time will tell.
However, thanks to various highways departments, I missed the support band. What should have been a simple 60 minute journey to Bristol, ended up taking the best part of two hours, due to a series of un-announced road closures. The return journey wasn't any better. Diverted on the way out of Bristol (M32 closed), the first diversion sign was the only one I saw, so I headed for an alternate route, only to find that being dug up and time-delay traffic signals in place, and another road closed soon after that. They must all have decided that the best time to dig up roads was on a "quiet" Tuesday night.
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »

Riverside were excellent at the Fleece in Bristol, although they seemed puzzled by the pillars throughout the venue (including on the stage). There was a very good crowd in the venue, and Riverside have promised to come back on the next tour, time will tell.
However, thanks to various highways departments, I missed the support band. What should have been a simple 60 minute journey to Bristol, ended up taking the best part of two hours, due to a series of un-announced road closures. The return journey wasn't any better. Diverted on the way out of Bristol (M32 closed), the first diversion sign was the only one I saw, so I headed for an alternate route, only to find that being dug up and time-delay traffic signals in place, and another road closed soon after that. They must all have decided that the best time to dig up roads was on a "quiet" Tuesday night.

That's a shame. Votum were OK. They were a little better on Monday than last Friday - they just seemed more confident and relaxed.
However Riverside were a major step above Friday's performance - in hindsight what I thought was a great show in London was relegated to more of a 'solid 6 out 10'. On Monday there was nearly a mosh pit in one corner which is crazy for a prog gig at the Robin.

R

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2014, 12:00:30 AM »

Enjoyed FM, Europe and Foreigner tonight.

From a photography point of view I think I'm going to stick to photographing shows at Colston Hall that aren't all seating. In the all seating configuration the seats go all the way to the front so there's no photo pit. So you end up having to shoot from the sides of the front stalls seating as there's no room in front of the front row and obviously they don't want you standing taking photos in front of a seated audience.

Got told when I arrived by the head of security that I could photograph the first 3 songs from FM, the first 4 songs of Europe and the first 5 of Foreigner. Which was what I'd been told by email yesterday due to the fact that Mick Jones doesn't take to the stage until the 5th song.

Just before Foreigner came on we were told we could only photograph songs 3-5 of Foreigners set, ok this is a bit strange but at least it's 3 songs.  However as previously mentioned we shooting from the side of a seated audience and audience that remained seated for songs 1 and 2 of Foreigners set only to stand up on mass at the start of song 3 when told it was ok to do so by Kelly Hansen (cheers for that Kelly) this made it a real struggle to get any sort of viewpoint to get good photos of Foreigner.  My photos are still downloading and rendering previews so we'll see if I got any usable ones , I think I might have found a workable sport before the end of song 5.

I had a seat in row E of the front stalls, while I was waiting to head into the venue I saw a tweet from Nathan James (Inglorius, Trans Siberian Orchestra singer) saying he was heading out to a gig and included a photo of him.  Before FM came on I went to my seat and left my empty camera bag and hoodie on my seat.  When I went back to the seat, after the first 3 songs of FM's set, sitting directly behind me in row F was someone who looked a lot like Nathan James. I pulled up his tweet again on my phone and looked at the photo but I wasn't sure so didn't bother asking if it was him.

Turns out it was as he later tweeted he'd been to see Foreigner, I asked him if he'd been sat behind me and he confirmed that it was and that he'd seen me.

Before the gig I tweeted that this was the first gig I'd been too at Colston Hall where I hadn't seen any familiar faces in the audience, so it obviously wasn't a prog gig (although we did get a keytar during FM's set). Turns out this wasn't true as I later bumped in to someone I know from Reasoning gigs, although I did get his name wrong to start with, oops!

I only saw about 5 songs of FM's set but I enjoyed what I saw before heading to the bar to get a diet coke.  Europe we probably the most enjoyable band to photograph of the night.  Joey Tempest is a great front man and really throws some shapes for the photographers, including looking right at me and pointing at one point (I really hope I got that shot in focus!). Rather than return to my seat after photographing the first 3 songs I stood at the side where I'd been photographing from as security were quite content to leave me stand there as long as I didn't take anymore photos.

Foreigner played just short of a two hour set playing from 9:20pm to 11:15pm with an encore break and drum and keyboard solos.  My favourite song of their set was Juke Box Hero and we got all the hits you'd expect to hear in a Foreigner set.  Kelly Hansen stage manner reminded me of Steven Tyler  from Aerosmith he even looks like a not quite as thin, haven't done as many drugs version of Tyler. All in all I enjoyed their set they finished on Hot Blooded and knowing this was the last song I slipped out just before the end to avoid the crowds on the way out.

I'm going to select and edit some photos to send off to the people I need to supply photos two (one PR company and 2 reviewers).  None of them need the photos till tomorrow but I'm choosing to stay up late and get this done tonight rather than have to get up early tomorrow morning to do it.

I'm off to London tomorrow afternoon to see Within Temptation and Delain at Wembley Arena, so Ill try and sleep in as late as I possibly can and also get some sleep on the train from Bristol to London.

I doubt I'll get around to it tonight but possibly sometime tomorrow there will be a blog post with photos up at http://mikeevstog.wordpress.com/

PS I'm back on instagram and I've been adding some photos here of this weekend away , the train station sign, my hotel, my pass from tonight, my weapons of choice (my camera's) and that sort of thing anyway their here if you want to take a look and I'll try and add a few more interesting shots of this weekend as I go http://instagram.com/mikeevsphoto

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »

Thanks Mike - I enjoyed reading that :-)

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »

eek just  read that back, mistake all over the place.  I guess I was a bit tired Cheesy

MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »

I've blogged some photos wp.me/p11dTQ-7M

More to come...

roger
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Dick Destiny, Ambassador to the Planet JamesA!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »

Some great shots, Mike!!

even my name is mostly pROG.  But I'm ⓝⓞⓣⒷⒶⓇⓇⓎ
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16
Print
Jump to: