Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: CRS Awards  (Read 10482 times)
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »

I agree! I mean, imagine if you wrote to everyone on the CRS subscriber list and asked them to vote for you...

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »

And who are the Beatles? I mean, who is Steve Reed, and can I get a sample of his alleged awful lyrics?

He is the lyricist from Magenta.

He'll be on his knees if he wins.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »

"I do like these awards as they are the only ones that the fans vote for and cannot be rigged by bands mobilising their fanbase."

Not sure that is actually true Rob, the only caveat is that all voters have to be CRS subscribers...still does not stop fan base rigging IMO
Sort of - but you can't get your mates to vote in an open vote for anyone.  David Elliott is not running a poll this year for this reason.

If anyone me to vote for them, then I am perfectly open to the request.  Just write it on a tenner and I'll do the right thing.

And who are the Beatles? I mean, who is Steve Reed, and can I get a sample of his alleged awful lyrics?

He is the lyricist from Magenta.
Who you have met.  He obviously made a big impression.

Capt. Pugwash
Shark

Solo Artist (again)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

Go with your gut Rob!

Use the Force...
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »

Who you have met.  He obviously made a big impression.

Just because I've met him, it doesn't mean I know who he is!

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »

Who are you, what is this place, where's my cow?

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »

Moo!

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »

I'm voting for Moo.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »

Has everyone voted?

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »

Has everyone voted?

I have to admit, no I haven't.
Last year was the first year that I actually managed to put some votes forward in about 5 categories, none of which actually won (if I remember correctly - not that that is the reason for not voting). And they only got those votes after a personal email from the CRS.
For me, no albums have really sunk in yet from the last year to be contenders for anything. there is so much music around that it takes ages for fourth or fifth listens unless the album gets put in the car (which means the Tom Slatter album has been listened to a helluva lot, even though it's definitely not one of my favourites). I also have a real problem actually remembering which year the albums are from, because what appear to be recent turn out to be often 2 or 3 years old (time flies etc...).
Another point is that I know very few of the names involved. I could vote for Kim & Moo, if I could remember what the album sounded like (it was good, but I preferred The City Sleeps). The only name which springs to mind is Guy M for songwriter (for another album I need to give another listen soon), and it seems odd to send in only one vote.
I actually liked getting the complete list of albums from the European Perspective poll, because it gave me a reference point for the year. When the CRS results are published, I probably won't disagree too much (unless it's a mostly Autumn year again), and it'll probably lead me to listen to a couple of albums again, but it'll be done without my votes.
Sorry.

Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »

But Steve Reed is the worst lyricist in the whole entire world....
Not sure that is entirely fair...I think the likes of Bieber's team of lyricists hold that honour followed my many more of that ilk. Steve's lyrics might not be award-worthy but they are not as dire as you suggest, in my opinion.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:35 AM »

It's all about personal preference in the end and what makes an emotional connection.  And that depends upon what you are singing about, and honestly songs about dead musicians doesn't hit with me as much as other things.  I prefer Tina's lyric writing to Steve's, but a lot of that could be because she had more scope to write about what she wanted to.

I've just been listening to the Tinyfish album.  Now that album is packed with absolutely brilliant lyrics, by both Rob and Simon.  The other person whose wordcraft touches me a lot is Anne-Marier Helder.  She writes about relationships with such ease.

Anyway, I did vote, but for none of the people that I mentioned.

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:58 AM »

No best new band gong for Tinyfish again then  Sad

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »

Shineback is a new band.  Perhaps there should be a blog about this.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »

Fish is doing the awards.  Any Tillison is doing the support slot.

You haven't got long left to vote. 

VOTE SHINEBACK

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: