Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: 2015 Gigs  (Read 12390 times)
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

I saw Gun on Tuesday night. Wow that brought back memories.
The Camden Underworld was filled with rockers of a certain age singing their hearts out to "Taking On The World", "Word Up", "Steal Your Fire" and the rest of the classics that they played.

R

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »

French air traffic control permitting, I'm off to Milan this weekend for the Frontiers Rock Festival. Two days of melodic rock & AOR, including FM and Praying Mantis. If it's half as good as last year's Firefest, It'll be wonderful.
The venue looks superb from the photos, and the purchase of a VIP ticket should make things even more comfortable.
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »

Sounds good, have a great time  Smiley

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »

Frontiers Rock Festival - 11-12th April 2015 - In the middle of nowhere just outside Milan.
The VIP ticket cost a bomb, but it certainly made life easier, all I had to do was l get a taxi to the hotel which was interesting enough (distance from motorway junction to hotel about 50 yards which actually equated to about two miles - even the taxi driver seemed to be doubting his sat-nav). FM played a blinder at the acoustic pre-gig in the hotel - things were looking good.
Saturday, all on to a coach to go to the venue, which is stuck in the mddle of a small industrial estate, but with a great set-up. Basically a small hangar with permanent PA etc .. for live gigs, plus an internal 'restaurant' for food, outside seating area, and grass to relax on between bands, although with 15-20 minute changeovers being the norm, there wasn't much time to relax. Saturday highlights were FM and Eclipse (with Joe Lynn Turner's voice being the day's disappointment), and Sunday saw Pink Cream 69 and Pride Of Lions impressing (POL are the latest band Of Jim Peterik who wrote most of the Survivor material back in their heyday).
All in all it was an excellent weekend, good weather (still warm at midnight), good people, some excellent bands, and the thought that I may just want to do it again next year.
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »

Sounds great - pity about JLT's voice

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:07 PM »

Ticketgasm.

Just booked Knifeworld, Leprous, Secret Lazuli, Non secret Lazuli (Waves at Nellie), Y&T, The Watch and noticed that Iamthemorning are guests of Gazpacho in November .

R

Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

Yay! Make sure you tell everyone about the Lazuli tour. Tell everyone secretly about the secret gig :-)

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »

Dames Of Darkness Festival at the Robin, Bilston, 9th May 2015.
I only attended day 1 (Mr.Forster may well be approaching the venue for a second day as I write this).
It was a day of female fronted bands, many of the symphonic/goth/metal genre (with diversions to pop-ish or doom territory), with some interesting costumes, extensive use of backing tapes, and a pleasantly busy venue. For me, Bad Pollyanna were the band of the day. Another event to put on the list for next year, along with a note to get some more black clothing.
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »

I seem to be going to fewer and fewer.  Magenta were excellent as to be expected. 

I'm at Rambling Man in Mote Park later in the month.  This will for me, always be the place where we saw the helicopter land with the Sunday League Trophey back in the late 70s. 

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »

Eppyfest next weekend.
Unto Us are playing, but apart from that I have very little idea of what I shall be seeing.
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »

Enjoy Eppyfest.
I shall be somewhere or other in London Village for Tom Slatter's album launch show.

After that it's a bit of a lull with only one show before it all kicks off in September and I burn a third of my year's leave in October.

R

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »

Eppyfest was, again, a very interesting event.
Firefly Burning had some odd instrumentation, Trojan Horse tried to demolish the place with a 'Duracell-Bunny-on-speed' performance, Unto Us played a new song, and Stackridge were a bunch of old pros who just seem to enjoy playing live.
Attendance was up on last year (more chairs had to be put out) and from my view, everybody was happy.

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »

Tom's gig was excellent, apart from some drunken girl making a nuisance of herself. Turned out later she was one of the staff :-/

I was impressed by Tom's total unfazedness in the face of it...

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »

Rambling Man was good fun on Saturday.  Sunday was wet - so wet that I chickened out, but that's not too bad as all the bands I wanted to see were playing on Saturday anyway.

Driving through Maidstone to get there was really easy as there were plenty of marshalls directing traffic.  I followed the line of people into the park and that's where the fun started.  There were numerous queues and no one seemed to know which queue anyone needed to be in.  The first queue was to convert my ticket into a wrist band, then another queue to actually get in, but by this time, the queues had merged into one enormous queue and there was no reason to be in the queue to get a wrist band as you could get this in the queue to get into the park.

The running order was rather odd.  So, in order:

Unto Us put on a creditable performance.  They played three songs - possibly more shorter songs would have been easier, but we know that Huw has a really good voice especially for sad, depressing songs.  In the nicest possible way, of course.

Touchstone played well - I'm not sure about the choices for the set, but they did do their excellent version of Mad World with John Mitchell.

Messenger are a band I've not heard of before.  They played a decent enough set.  I didn't see all of their set as I wanted to watch Blue Oyster Cult on the main stage, but what I did see was pleasant enough even if it didn't make me want to rush out to get their CDs.  Which was just as well as there was no band merchandising in the park.  As far as I could tell, they only had once person in the band who was capable of playing solos, and he alternated between keys and guitar.

Pendragon were next.  Why on earth they were so early, I can't possibly imagine (well, I can actually but this is a public forum).  And I missed the start as I was still at the main stage.  When I got back, I was shocked to see how many people there were, and they got a great reception.  After the last bands on the prog stage, it was great to hear some really good guitar (obviously except John Mitchell with Touchstone).

Haken come next; I disappeared to sit down and read a book.  The noises I got across the fields confirmed I made the right choice.  I returned towards the end of the set and I was shocked to see how few people were there.  Perhaps they were all listening to Saxon.

Anathema alternated between dreary and depressing.  No that's not fair - sometimes they managed to be both dreary and depressing at the same time.  I managed to get through the whole set.  I shan't see them again.  I have a couple of albums - Distant Satellites I find reasonable so I had hoped for more.  So, they have one trick and that is to sing; there is nothing to split up the songs - no interesting guitar or keyboard sections.  It makes them completely one dimensional.

Camel were a revelation to me.  I'd heard of Camel but never listened to Camel.  But they were outstanding and fun.  That will cost me - I will need to go and buy some of their albums.  I ended up standing with Pendragon (not deliberately) to watch the last 30 minutes and Rachel was telling me that Andy Latimer's plating was one of the reasons that both Nick and Peter (Gee) started playing guitar.  You can hear the influence.

It seems that it is happening again next year.  I think I'll go along.  But I hope that they sort out the queues to get in.  I was like no one thought that lots of people would turn up.

RobH
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »

Is anyone going to Summer's End this year?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: