Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 765
Print
Author Topic: What Made You Blue? (Mk II)  (Read 1284705 times)
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »

I've had my iPod three years and (touch wood), haven't had a problem with it in all that time.

We're not dead yet!
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »

What are the symptoms? Have you reset it?
I have, yes...but to no avail.

It froze when I turned it on this morning, so I did a standard "Menu-Select" reset, and then it came up with that rather worrying little red cross in a circle and the address of the support website. The site suggested going into something called 'disk mode', which is "Select-Play/Pause", but it had exactly the same result. It also refuses to run diagnostics.

I'm going to nip into the Apple Store on the way home, I think - lots of good reports of the staff in there, who will look at your device for no money and fix it if they can.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »

Yeah :-/

Sounds like the hard disk has thrown a shoe. Last chance is to hard reset it and lose everything on it, and see if that fixes it. As long as you have everything on itunes, you can just resync it afterwards if it fixes the problem.

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »

The only thing about my iPod that gets to me (as well as being stupidly quiet) is that some pieces of album artwork decide to show up as black squares, a bit like that Spinal Tap album. I have no clue why it does it, or why it only does it for seemingly random albums (The Tall Ships, Frequency and disc two of Physical Graffiti are three of the ones at the mo), and I know it's only an aesthetic problem and doesn't hinder the listening of the music, but it still really pisses me off.  Angry

I've scoured the Apple forums and no-one there knows why it happens. The only cure I found is to remove all the artwork from the iPod by deselecting it, then re-selecting it to replace it. It sort of works, except that some artwork vanishes altogether (even though it's still showing up on iTunes) and then out of no-where, another album will become black.

I do wish I'd bought a really high quality MP3 player with masses of storage last year, but the iPod was the most convenient choice at the time as it meant I didn't have to transport all of my CDs back to Hull. Ah well. You live and you learn. And I know I should get over the artwork thing, but I really like album artwork...  Undecided

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
MikeEvs
Siamese Fighting Fish

Small Welsh bloke with big camera

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »

Currently on my mp3 player Porcupuine Tree's The Incident shows up with the with the cover art from a Girls Aloud album  Cheesy

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »

You do know that you can download any album cover you like and just add it to the album artwork via iTunes Tim?

Funny you should mention that Mike. It amuses me to see iTunes trying to pick the most appropriate album artwork for the album in question and then watch it lose the plot completely in it's choice of cover.

Curently when I pull up Le Mer by Claude Debussey, the album cover I get is 'Great Goth Classics of 1999'.

Way to go Claude.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:41:41 PM by Simon » Logged

We're not dead yet!
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »

You do know that you can download any album cover you like and just add it to the album artwork via iTunes Tim?

I do indeed, but this doesn't solve the problem. You can swap images all you like, but they will still come up black. It's been like this since early in the year. Bah.

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »

You might wish to try a firmware upgrade sir. I believe it worked for Wilf today with his iPod troubles.

We're not dead yet!
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2009, 09:32:14 PM »

You might wish to try a firmware upgrade sir. I believe it worked for Wilf today with his iPod troubles.
It did indeed!

Got to hand it to the Genius guys at the Apple Shop, they fixed things in double-quick time, and for free. The problem was, apparently, a bug which sometimes manifests itself with the particular firmware version I was on. Normally you upgrade it through iTunes, but of course I couldn't because it was stalled, so they did some arcane magic to get it going and then did the upgrade. I lost all my music, but that's okay because - as Rob said - you just plug it in to the PC later and it resynchronizes.

So I shall have music on my journey to work tomorrow. Hurrah for that!

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »

Funny you should mention that Mike. It amuses me to see iTunes trying to pick the most appropriate album artwork for the album in question and then watch it lose the plot completely in it's choice of cover.

iTunes is not the only software with this problem. My main player on my linux box insists on displaying Adam Ant as the album artwork for all the albums it can't find.

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »

My main player on my linux box insists on displaying Adam Ant as the album artwork for all the albums it can't find.

So its adamant that it's found the right cover...

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »

No need to get your coat, I have it right here ...

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »

Spent all day in bed with food poisoning today. My body seemed to want to divest itself of very drop of fluid it could without my eyeballs drying up and yes, I am feeling sorry for myself.  Tongue

We're not dead yet!
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 10:54:47 PM »

That's not good, Simon. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »

Get well soon Simon. I hope I don't somehow get it like I got your last bout of lurgy, which then led to everyone at The Peel asking after my undercarriage...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 765
Print
Jump to: