Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Print
Author Topic: The Curry Thread  (Read 32740 times)
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »

I had three curries in February - two at the India Club and one at our local, the Spice Inn in Stratford. The last of these was probably the nicest in food terms, and it was also pleasantly unexpected as Yvette, Huw and I simply decided we'd like one and were out the door fifteen minutes later.

Unusually I had chicken tikka makhani, a very mild curry in a sauce made with butter and almonds - not healthy at all. Yvette had her favourite, which is kabouli, a curry made with chicken and chickpeas, and Huw went for the inevitable chicken tikka and naan.

This month I am intending to have curry at least once or twice. Mike (my team - all of it!) and I will likely go out next week to celebrate his birthday, and I owe Chris one, too. I may also decide that it's time for a BEM curry and stand the hard-working members of that team a night out.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »

Do you have to eat kabouli without taking a breath ?

Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »

With the Naan bread under your arm?

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »

Cheese naan?

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

No.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »

We went here on Saturday. They have excellent customer service including simple touches like if someone collects a takeaway they will carry it to the door before handing it to the customer and then opening the door for them. These little things all add up.

I had the Murgh Sorse (chicken tikka fried with mustard seeds in olive oil and a thick bhuna sauce) and keema rice which was simply lovely. Tracy asked for a mild vege Salli and got a mild chicken version. This was quickly replaced by a vege Salli but they forgot the mild part and finally.... the right curry came out which she enjoyed.

There were naans and starters involved as well but they weren't nearly as exciting as 3 curries in 10 minutes.

R

Trace
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 04, 2013, 12:56:18 PM »

We went here on Saturday. They have excellent customer service including simple touches like if someone collects a takeaway they will carry it to the door before handing it to the customer and then opening the door for them. These little things all add up.

I had the Murgh Sorse (chicken tikka fried with mustard seeds in olive oil and a thick bhuna sauce) and keema rice which was simply lovely. Tracy asked for a mild vege Salli and got a mild chicken version. This was quickly replaced by a vege Salli but they forgot the mild part and finally.... the right curry came out which she enjoyed.

There were naans and starters involved as well but they weren't nearly as exciting as 3 curries in 10 minutes.

R

Should have kept all 3.
I was impressed (from their website) with the thought of deliveries up to 5 miles - I can't get deliveries from less than 3, although I would prefer if they delivered the correct curry.
ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: March 05, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »

Should have kept all 3.
No thanks. I was stuffed to bursting as it was and the un-mild curry was too hot for me.

I was impressed (from their website) with the thought of deliveries up to 5 miles - I can't get deliveries from less than 3, although I would prefer if they delivered the correct curry.
We normally get a takeaway from a place just down the road called Cinnamon (Simon has a copy of the menu, it is named after a Tinyfish song after all). It's a bit cheeky but we have had deliveries from all of 30s walk away before now. And before anyone calls me lazy it was the curry house that offered to deliver, I normally just walk back 20min after ordering and collect it.

R

ɹǝʇsɹoɟɾɹ
Seel-o-canth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »

Back at the Alishan last night. I had the Chicken Jullsag which is like a Jalfrezi (hence the alt spelling Jull) but cooked with spinach as well (hence the sag). I found this to be much nicer than a regular Jalfrezi and is quite possibly my new favourite curry choice.

R

James_H
Siamese Fighting Fish

James H - The mini-spambot.

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »

I'm in Bangalore again.

Went out for lunch at a much more satisfactory restaurant than the last time I was here- that place had only vegetarian South Indian food (basically a selection of pickles and curds to be poured over rice and puri bread and eaten with the hands...).

Today, I got meat! Special chicken and mutton Biryani. The first time I've eaten anything in India that I recognised as Indian food I've eaten at home. My colleague did the ordering for me, and I was under the impression that she was saying "can you dial down the spices for the pathetic Englishman?"  , but after my first bite it seemed more like "Right, this tosser reckons he can handle something a bit spicy- teach him a lesson."

Right on my limit of spicyness, but tasted very good indeed. I had to have a sweet lassee to cool down after, which was also delicious. I think last time I had a salty one, which was disgusting. All in all, quite happy!

be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk/
http://flyingallnight.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/giggingforever
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »

Yesterday I had lunch with a supplier, a guy I've worked with for a long time (not that this is relevant). We went to the Indali Lounge in Baker Street, a ten-minute walk from my office:

http://www.indalilounge.com/

Their buy-line is "the art of healthy Indian dining", in that they don't use butter or cream in any of their curries, and keep the amount of oil to a minimum (and they use olive oil).

I'd not been before, but I'll be going again - it was absolutely delicious. We shared mixed starters (chicken tikka and two types of sheek kebab, lamb and chicken) which were quite spicy but tasty and herby. The mains were excellent - 'butter' chicken (made without butter) and lamb biryani - together with probably the best naan I've ever tasted (made with mixed grains). Then kulfi made with low-fat milk to finish.

Their boast is that you'll feel well-fed but not bloated, and that was certainly the case. Their menu is much shorter than your average curry house, but there's something there for everyone - they're particularly strong on fish and seafood, so James, you'd like it.

Highly recommended.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »

Yesterday I had lunch with a supplier, a guy I've worked with for a long time (not that this is relevant). We went to the Indali Lounge in Baker Street, a ten-minute walk from my office:

http://www.indalilounge.com/

Their buy-line is "the art of healthy Indian dining", in that they don't use butter or cream in any of their curries, and keep the amount of oil to a minimum (and they use olive oil).

I'd not been before, but I'll be going again - it was absolutely delicious. We shared mixed starters (chicken tikka and two types of sheek kebab, lamb and chicken) which were quite spicy but tasty and herby. The mains were excellent - 'butter' chicken (made without butter) and lamb biryani - together with probably the best naan I've ever tasted (made with mixed grains). Then kulfi made with low-fat milk to finish.

Their boast is that you'll feel well-fed but not bloated, and that was certainly the case. Their menu is much shorter than your average curry house, but there's something there for everyone - they're particularly strong on fish and seafood, so James, you'd like it.

Highly recommended.

Noms!

"Are you feeling miserable? Come to our restaurant and be fed up"

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Print
Jump to: