Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 109
Print
Author Topic: The Gear Thread  (Read 343548 times)
Prog Cat
Salmon

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: November 11, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »

OK, how many of have the latest versions of numerous DAWs (Live, Reason etc), multiple soft-synths, plug-ins etc and have yet to produce more than sketches or doodles of musical composition? Oh.... just me then. Early New Year's resolution is to create an actual full track. I've been eyeing up Live 9 but what's the point?
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1471 on: November 11, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »

OK, how many of have the latest versions of numerous DAWs (Live, Reason etc), multiple soft-synths, plug-ins etc and have yet to produce more than sketches or doodles of musical composition? Oh.... just me then.
Nope - no-one on this forum has Wink
I've been eyeing up Live 9 but what's the point?
Particularly as the thieving bastards are asking for a lot for an upgrade from 8 - 129 for Live 9 Standard, 199 for Suite 9.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Prog Cat
Salmon

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: November 11, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »

OK, how many of have the latest versions of numerous DAWs (Live, Reason etc), multiple soft-synths, plug-ins etc and have yet to produce more than sketches or doodles of musical composition? Oh.... just me then.
Nope - no-one on this forum has Wink
I've been eyeing up Live 9 but what's the point?
Particularly as the thieving bastards are asking for a lot for an upgrade from 8 - 129 for Live 9 Standard, 199 for Suite 9.
Yeah sweet! (suite).
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1473 on: November 11, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

My main weapon in my quest to play and create music recently has simply been my acoustic guitar. After being constantly infuriated by the awkwardness of Pro Tools and the lack of resources with Cubase (and a drought of my own patience), I've made good progress with my own ideas by just strumming them out on the Taylor (and then thrashing them out on the Strat when it's late at night and everyone's in bed). Once I get happy enough with the ideas as a whole, I'll make sure to deploy the field recorder to make a few shaky demos and then see how to develop them from there.

I've been trying out a few covers as well in preparation for an open mic night, should the opportunity arise.

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1474 on: November 12, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »

Good on you Mouse. That's exactly how Godfrey Major got started...

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1475 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »

There are only two bits of advice I'd ever give to improve any musician's chops and songwriting skills; 1 - Learn to play the drums and 2 - Play as many open mic nights as you possibly can. Both will improve your music by an order of magnitude.

There is a third element which could guarantee a high profile professional career in music but very few people are able to meet the exacting physical and debauched mental standards required to sleep with prog impresario Stephen Lambe.

Lord knows we've tried  Grin

We're not dead yet!
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 13, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

Poor Lambsie, I thought he had rather a drawn, hunted look these days...

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
Espen
Sardine

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 15, 2012, 01:00:55 PM »

I have tried the route of songwriting through the most advanced synth setups, automation hell and all you could ever imagine, but that always fails.
A cup of tea and a piano wins every time. You don't get stuck tweaking and losing sight of the big picture after working for 11 hours on bar 5 in the project window with 100 tracks and still no actual song.
I like to write the old fashioned way of just playing chords and humming melodies. Sometimes even writing on paper, now that I've learned the basics of that.

Also, a lot of good ideas appear in the shower. Such a great place to sing. Cheesy

What ho!
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1478 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »

Some acoustic songs I practiced today were Faith (an instrumental version of the Marillion song), Weak Machine (with apologies to the band) and Wot's... Uh, The Deal (Pink Floyd).

Anyway, here's something I'm posting just to annoy Simon 'cos I know he likes Telecasters:

T'is an FRS Fender Tele Thinline Super Deluxe. I like the look of it lots.

Espen
Sardine

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: November 16, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »

That's a beauty!

What ho!
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1480 on: November 16, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »

Yes that is beautiful Mouse. Will you be purchasing it?

We're not dead yet!
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1481 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »

What do you think? I'm the (bi)polar opposite of the Monopoly man.  Tongue

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1482 on: November 16, 2012, 03:01:46 PM »

I've always really desired the Thinline Tele that Simple Mind's Charlie Burchill sported at the Mandella concert back in the 80s. The chime sound he got from that guitar is second only to that of Andy Summers during Walking On The Moon. Note the active EMG pickups which were ubiquitous at the time.

You can keep your million mile an hour solos. The most perfect sound a guitar can ever produce is that of a well articulated chord.

We're not dead yet!
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1483 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »

The Korg Polysix - the sound upon which much 80s prog was based - now available as an iPad app.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1484 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:46 PM »

Oh, great.

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 109
Print
Jump to: