Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 109
Print
Author Topic: The Gear Thread  (Read 230719 times)
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »

More likely to rip the back edge of your Ikea fuzzy-edged sky-hook table thingy...

Is that intended for a touchscreen tablet thing (at least at that angle)?

hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

That is a nice bit of kit. I wonder what is the largest size monitor it could hold before drooping?

According to my favourite Jesuit father Robert it can support two 24" monitors.

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »

Oh great, another great looking free VST appears when I can't download it. Thanks, Godfrey.  Tongue

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »

I'm such a tease.

We're not dead yet!
hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »

My photo gear software:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:57:09 PM by hoboslobo » Logged

"Apparently Neil Armstrong used to tell unfunny jokes about the Moon and follow them up with "Ah, I guess you had to be there."
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »

That reads 7.8 on the sexy-o-meter Bo.

We're not dead yet!
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

Next thing you know he'll be wiggling his bum!

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
Mouse
Neptune

Musical Rodent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »

My photo gear software:

That looks like an Etch-A-Sketch!

'Horses never forget. That's why they're called "nature's elephants".'

http://mouseholemusic.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/themousehole
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »

Shake to reboot.  Grin

We're not dead yet!
hoboslobo
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 03:42:04 PM »

As I get paid on Monday and I have not reached my overdraft limit, I have invested in a pair of studio monitors.

I can now properly enjoy Paul's bass.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:01:33 PM by hoboslobo » Logged

AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »

I've been playing with my music stuff today, so here we go with my own little contribution to the geeky stuff Smiley

The computer I use for making music is an HP EliteBook 8530w:

Intel Core Duo T9400 processor running at 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB hard disk, 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise. Laptops look boring, really - but it does the job really nicely.

The sound card built in to laptops is generally crap, so I use a USB one, a Novation Nio 2|4:

This is a little gem of a box, two inputs, four outputs, two separate, independently-controllable headphone sockets, and a myriad of routing options. You get a lot of punch for your hundred and thirty quid.

I have a pair of KRK RP5 near-field monitors, which both look and sound the business:

Getting hold of these babies was a revelation, I can really hear what I'm doing now. I use them when I'm recording TEP too.

I've got two mics, a Rode NT1-A and a Shure SM-58:

The Rode is the one I use when recording podcasts.

My main recording software is Ableton Live 8:

I can't say enough about it, in terms of useability it knocks all the others into a cocked hat as far as I'm concerned.

I also have Propellerhead Reason, which I use as an instrument rack - I hardly ever use the sequencer in it:

The Korg PadKONTROL is designed mainly for drum programming, but I use it mainly for triggering songs when recording podcasts:

Mine's white, though Smiley

I've also got a Korg MIDI keyboard controller which hardly gets used, so I won't show a picture of it. I've also got a couple of electric guitars - an Ibanez SA260 in cornflower blue sunburst, and my trusty Westone Thunder 1-A - two acoustic six-strings (the Washburn D-15 my parents bought me for my sixteenth birthday, and a Takamine electro-acoustic), a Fender 12-string acoustic, and a cheap but really useful bass guitar made by a company called Harrier, who sell exclusively via eBay. Somewhere in the attic there's a no-name mandolin, which I haven't touched for years...to the best of my memory it played reasonably well. Being a hopeless leftie all of my guitars are that way inclined.

My old Roland Spirit 50 amp - which I got for my eighteenth birthday - is still in perfect working order. Lovely little amp, with built-in footswitch-controlled overdrive...saw me through countless gigs, and incidentally was Rog Patterson's main amp for quite a sizeable chunk of Twice Bitten's career (I have to have some claim to fame!).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:08:27 PM by AmazingWilf » Logged

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »

I've always fancied a pair of KRK's myself but if I had a bit of extra dosh, I'd plump for a set of Mackie 824s.

We're not dead yet!
AmazingWilf
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

I've always fancied a pair of KRK's myself but if I had a bit of extra dosh, I'd plump for a set of Mackie 824s.
Oh yes, they're the business. The main reason I went for the KRKs was their relatively low price, to be honest, and they got some pretty decent reviews. I haven't been disappinted Smiley

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »

My gear:talent ratio is ludicrously skewed in favour of the gear - I can't really *play* any of it "properly".
So they're really just expensive toys but I love trying to use them and, extremely rarely, something comes out that doesn't sound too bad.  Wink

A pretty generic Quad core PC - 2GB + 2x 500GB HDD (picture not really necessary)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 109
Print
Jump to: