Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 109
Print
Author Topic: The Gear Thread  (Read 342505 times)
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1440 on: October 10, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »

Here's a top tip - shouting at Pro Tools actually makes it work.  Roll Eyes
Cheesy

Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 11, 2012, 05:18:28 PM »

Does anyone on here (looks pointedly at Matt) have a Vox VDL-1? Or have experience of it? My younger boy is rather fancying one.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1442 on: October 13, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »

Silence...

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1443 on: October 13, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »

It's got some rather good reviews.

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Pedro
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 14, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »

I really want to get a looper...but whenever I look at them my gear-lust kicks-in and I end-up at the top off the Boss range looking at the RC300...then the price-tag kills the deal.
Maybe Santa will help...

Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1445 on: October 16, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

Does anyone on here (looks pointedly at Matt) have a Vox VDL-1? Or have experience of it? My younger boy is rather fancying one.
I've never used it (I have an Akia looper) and I know for a fact that Matt Stevens' looper pedal of choice is made by Line 6.

That said, the looper pedals are pretty similar nowadays in terms of functionality. May I ask what your sone wants to use it fo? I ask as I could give it a look online and see if there are any better or cheaper alternatives out there based upon what he wants to do with it.

We're not dead yet!
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1446 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »

And I will deal with Simon's consultancy fee for this service  Cool

Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 16, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »

Er, he wants to use it for looping. Duh!

I believe the functionality he is most interested in is the straight "record a bit of something, then play it back (same speed) and play something else over it" but the effects are interesting as well. He's got a Boss multi-effect-y thingy which is, apparently, getting a bit tired now, and fancies the effects on the Vox pedal. I can't remember the model of the Boss one, but it was about 100 about 4/5 years ago.

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
Simon
Tosser
Band Member
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1448 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »

Sorry Catherine, I should have been more specific. Is your son going to use the looper for live work, studio work or a bit of both?

There are loads of looping pedals out there and most are configured for use live. The Vox certainly seems to be one that allows you a lot of flexibility building up loops but as it lacks a USB connection, there is no direct digital transfer of the looped audio. That means the only way you can record sounds is via the audio out. Although not a disaster, it does mean it's limited to the simple 'hit record and play' methodology.

If that is all your son is interested in then it's a great pedal but if he's out live and wants to capture something he's played, then he'll be out of luck (unless he's got a recording device hooked up all the time naturally).

We're not dead yet!
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »

He's largely wanting it for music practice and composition purposes. He's not really got into studio stuff yet (which is a relief because that could get REALLY expensive) and is wanting it to help with his GCSE composition exercise in which he has to produce some music for 2 instruments - most likely 2 guitars. That, and for a bit of fun!

Uncle Bulgaria
Neptune

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 16, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »

most likely 2 guitars.

two slightly distorted guitars?

There's things I haven't told you - I go out late at night

https://attitudebadger.wordpress.com/
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1451 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »

Is one of them so distorted that it is a grand piano ?

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1452 on: October 16, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »

He's largely wanting it for music practice and composition purposes. He's not really got into studio stuff yet (which is a relief because that could get REALLY expensive) and is wanting it to help with his GCSE composition exercise in which he has to produce some music for 2 instruments - most likely 2 guitars. That, and for a bit of fun!

I summon Matt Stevens! *does Matt Stevens summoning dance*

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
roger
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Dick Destiny, Ambassador to the Planet JamesA!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1453 on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

I summon Matt Stevens! *does Matt Stevens summoning dance*

ooh, what does that look like?

even my name is mostly pROG.  But I'm ⓝⓞⓣⒷⒶⓇⓇⓎ
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1454 on: October 16, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 109
Print
Jump to: