Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Influences  (Read 17732 times)
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »

Bearing in mind the following wording which proclaims A-Ha to have been the vital influence on all music which is worthy on consideration in the modern age, plus Coldplay, I was wondering which of your tracks was most influenced by the work of these Norwegians.

ENDING ON A HIGH NOTE - THE FAREWELL TOUR

Don't miss this chance to see A-HA for the very last time at Wembley Arena on their Farewell Tour this November.

Following a fantastic international career spanning 25 years, in excess of 35 million album sales and 15 top 10 singles in the UK alone, A-Ha's Morten Harket, Magne Furuholmen and Paul Waaktaar-Savoy announce that they will perform their final shows together in 2010, the anniversary year of the release of debut album 'Hunting High & Low'. Riding high on the success of their critically acclaimed current album 'Foot Of The Mountain', A-Ha have decided to call it a day and as a consequence will not release any future albums.

The band would like to thank their fans and everyone who has contributed to their amazing journey and say, "We've literally lived the ultimate boy's adventure tale, through a longer, more rewarding career than anyone could hope for. Doing this now will give us a chance to get more involved in other meaningful aspects of life, be it humanitarian work, politics, or whatever else and of course through new constellations in the field of art and music. We are retiring as a band, not as individuals. Change is always difficult and it is easy to get set in one's ways. Now it is time to move on."

In the mid 80's the Norwegian trio created teenage hysteria and general pandemonium wherever they went. In recent years the focus has shifted to the musical legacy they will leave behind, inspiring a whole generation of artists such as Coldplay and Keane to Kanye West, Oasis, The Strokes, Robbie Williams and U2.

Robert
Chief Audience Frightener
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »

Following their great success with the song "Take On Me", you can consider that any of our songs which have gross grammatical errors in the titles, those songs have been inspired by A-Ha.

And Coldplay is just pure toss.

"I'm just an angry wig on a stick." - Thea
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »

But surely, in the great scheme of things, they only used the linguistic tool of Take On Me, so that they could soar with Take Me On...

AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:50 PM »

...so by this measure, I would imagine the Tinyfish songs most influenced by those crazy A-Ha boys are:

• All Lost Hands
  • Nine Months Fire On
  • Fly Bird Like
  • The Sarcasm Stops Never

...I agree about Coldplay, Rob...

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
Robert
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »

I thought you might agree, Wilf. As Johnny Mercer said once (about whom, I know not): "I could eat alphabet soup and shit better lyrics than these!"

A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »

I'm with Bill Bruford on Coldplay

""With success comes repetition, which I can't do.  The guy in Coldplay, with the drum and the bell, whatever they pay him it is not enough"."

Robert
Administrator
Ruler of the Seven Seas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »

That's awesome, James :-)

Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »

Ooo oo me too  Cheesy
Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

Ooo oo me too  Cheesy
Yeeeeees, huge pants they are.

Bert
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »

Ooo oo me too  Cheesy
Yeeeeees, huge pants they are.

Once, in a idle moment (week ?) at work a few years ago, myself and a couple of colleagues were going to start a website called NotMusic, the entire premise being that it would be based on on empirical evidence that certain so called popular music could be proven actually to fulfill the criteria of Not Music by asking a few simple question underpinned by some simple parameters.

No really !

Anyway, we scientifically assessed the following bands/artists as meeting all the criteria to qualify as Not Music:-

U2
James Blunt
Coldplay
Bon Jovi

The following bands were found to be not-Not Music

Rush (a shoo-in)
Ritchie Blackmore (+ any band that he has been in INC interestingly Blackmore's Night)
Jeff Beck (despite Hi Ho Silver Lining)
Godspeed You Black Emperor

I think we were on to something frankly. I was always amazed at how accurately the entirely evidence based and dispassionate scientific research seemed to align with our own thoughts  Wink

Nellie
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »

Brilliant! I'll bet that some student would get a phd in that.

Jim
Band Member
Siamese Fighting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:18:56 AM »

Once, in a idle moment (week ?) at work a few years ago, myself and a couple of colleagues were going to start a website called NotMusic, the entire premise being that it would be based on on empirical evidence that certain so called popular music could be proven actually to fulfill the criteria of Not Music by asking a few simple question underpinned by some simple parameters.

No really !

Anyway, we scientifically assessed the following bands/artists as meeting all the criteria to qualify as Not Music:-

U2
James Blunt
Coldplay
Bon Jovi

The following bands were found to be not-Not Music

Rush (a shoo-in)
Ritchie Blackmore (+ any band that he has been in INC interestingly Blackmore's Night)
Jeff Beck (despite Hi Ho Silver Lining)
Godspeed You Black Emperor

I think we were on to something frankly. I was always amazed at how accurately the entirely evidence based and dispassionate scientific research seemed to align with our own thoughts  Wink

I would love to see what those parameters are.

And I've been saying for the longest time that Coldplay are complete loose stool-water. And frankly anyone who counters with "Well, yeah, but their first album had some nice stuff on it" should be punched right on the balls.
Briefly Icky Giantess
Ruler of the Seven Seas

Truly, madly, progly

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »

Even if they're female?

I used to have a bigger sig but Robert kept moaning about it so I have been reduced to this now. Sad
AmazingWilf
Neptune

Bad Elephant Music - you know it makes sense.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »

Even if they're female?
Balls will be provided!

David 'Wilf' Elliott
Listen to
The European Perspective...the only progressive rock radio show made with the goodness of analogue cheese
A James
Santa's Little Spambot
Neptune

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »

And I've been saying for the longest time that Coldplay are complete loose stool-water. And frankly anyone who counters with "Well, yeah, but their first album had some nice stuff on it" should be punched right on the balls.

Remind me to introduce you to Ashleaze at the next gig  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: